Remote control of MP3DP...

Using the miniRambo and Ryan’s firmware, is there a way to remotely control (or at least shut down) the MP3DP? I am going to setup a camera to monitor my prints while I’m away and want to be able to turn it off remotely when it is done printing, or stop it if something goes wrong during a print. I know I can brute force it by plugging the power supply into one of my ADT compatible outlets that I have and then I can send a signal via ADT Pulse to turn off the outlet. This will work, but isn’t elegant in that it will just cut the power without letting the fans run to cool off the hot end. Is this possible in a more refined solution with the miniRambo and Marlin, or do I need to go a different firmware? I guess I could always remote into my PC and shut it down that way, but that’s not very elegant either. lol.

You can use Ocroprint. That is what I have always used to monitor my prints. I setup my MP3DP to use Octorpint. Works good.

Thanks Brandon. I was hoping that Marlin had a way to do it since that is what i’m using and am familiar with. I might give Octoprint a try in the future but I want to get comfortable with what I have now (still trying to dial in my prints).

Marlin has a power down function, for power supplies, I have not look into it, but I am assuming you need a PC power supply (control line) or maybe an SSR. This caught my eye recently as I would like mine to shut down after as well. So maybe one of us will eventually try this out.

I wonder if this could work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WV7GMA2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i use one on my LR to turn my spindle on and off. I use one of the fan outputs but I’m wondering if there would be another way to trigger it from the MiniRambo? The only problem is how would you trigger it to go on if the device it’s connected to would be the one controlling it. Lol.

I’m almost thinking it would take a RiP or something that has its own power to trigger?

Too late at night to contemplate now but I will give it some thought and look into the Marlin function.

The easiest route is to use an IP camera and a wifi plug in that you can control (I’m sure that’s what the ADT Pulse gives you). The slickest way is Octoprint. It’s a bit of an expense but worth it if you’re a fan of learning more stuff and playing with these little computers. Octoprint and a Pi Cam will give you a few new toys to play with too. Like time lapse of your prints.

Full disclosure - I’ve got mine ALMOST set up but haven’t set up the relays to cut power just yet. Been busy…

I do like playing around with this stuff, like most (all) of us! I think I’m going to at least explore Octoprint. There is always something that I want to modify or change just to either make my life easier, or in most cases, just to see if I can do it. lol.

From reading the Marlin docs on this, it can be configured for different power supplies (standard “brick” type, ATX Computer Power Supply or Xbox 360???). It looks like if you have an ATX power supply you can enable it in the firmware and then send an M80 command to turn it on (but this requires a board powered by USB or another 5V power supply, which I haven’t begun to explore yet). You can also send an M81 to turn off the power supply if you have a digital pin connected to the power supply Enable Pin.

So, it looks like it can be done, but requires some specific hardware and programming changes. It’s something that I will probably investigate in the future, but I think for simplicity and easy of use, I’m going to brute force it for now via my ADT Pulse Outlets and use my ADT App to shut down the outlet when I want to turn the printer off. Not elegant, but it will work.

Most ATX Power supplies have a 5V “standby” rail that is always on so you can do this with one power supply.

Here’s a link: Home · OctoPrint/OctoPrint Wiki · GitHub

1 Like