Revnull LR3 Build, my 1st CNC

More metal on plastic action!

X rails cut to 55-in and I managed to drop only 1 on my bare foot. I’ll spare you the picture of the half circle “bite” mark. Safety first folks!

I attempted to space the braces to several interpretations of “no less than 8 inches” with no luck. I’ll have to double check the strut plate DXF files to see how I’m mathing wrong. The plan is for a full sheet build by the way.

2 Likes

No MORE than 8"

In my area, full sheet MDF 4’ x 8’ is actually 49" x 97" :man_shrugging: Mentioning in case you’re planning to do edge to edge cuts on full sheet MDF. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-MDF-Panel-D11612490970000/304325742

1 Like

Sorry, miss read.

Fresh over night prints:

One the printer now:

I should have a bunch of screws and steppers from Amazon arriving this evening.

I have both a SKR 1.3 & 1.4 with a fist full of TMC2209s to potentially use with this build. I may also go with klipper in the long run since I also have a spare Pi Zero W to contribute to the cause. Man, I can’t wait!

6 Likes

I honestly do not know what I’m going to do with it once it’s built. :slight_smile: I would just like to option to cut something really big if I ever needed to.
Thanks for the heads up though. Thanks good information to have in the back of my head.

2 Likes

One down, one to go.

Steppers, belts, pullies, idlers, and M3 screws came today, Now I just need to wait for a care package from Ryan and maybe build a table for all of this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, I do not think these couplers will work after all. :frowning:

Even if the hole was larger, it still hit the YZ plate. @vicious1 is it too late to add a couple of spring couplers to my order? :slight_smile:

Steppers installed! Still waiting on my M5 screws so I can install the rest of the idlers.

I would love some round V1 logo stickers to cover the blue steppersonline ones.

2 Likes

Oh bummer the box went out this morning.

Shoot sorry I didn’t even realize they were a larger diameter. I should have known that, I have a set in my box of parts.

Need to get some circle stickers, or a drag knife mount for the LR to make some!

1 Like

NP. I may have some on some older printers that have spring couplers that I can swap out. If not, prime to the rescue. Thanks for getting that order out so fast!

1 Like

Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the “spec” couplers? I may be able to find something else on Amazon then Ryan can setup an affiliate link for me to use. :wink:

1 Like

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Very helpful, thanks! Does the coupler need to flex or will a rigid coupler work?

2 Likes

Flex is always nice because nothing is perfect. You can use a rigid one, just be on the lookout for binding as they are very unforgiving to bent lead screws.

2 Likes

Well, this is as far as I get until more parts arrive.

I think I’ll put some amount of effort into getting the controller/firmware setup. From what I have gleaned from some of the docs and forum posts, I’ll need 5 stepper drivers and up to 6 endstop ports/pins. If I go the klipper route, that leaves a ton of open pins for silly things like cooling fans, lights/neopixels, toolhead and vac control! I can both power the Pi Zero and attach via UART from the SKR TFT port. Maybe go with a Pi 3B and run klipperscreen. So many options. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You win some, you lose some. 5 out of 6 isn’t bad right? It might be time for a new PEI sheet.

4 Likes

I picked up the HF Bauer palm router on sale to get this all kicked off. Before that, I had been following several eBay auctions for the Makita. Well a reminder popped up for a hell of a deal with minutes left in the auction and…

I guess the Bauer will be my backup. :slight_smile:

Klipper is installed and partially configured as a cartesian with no extruder. Odd one for me. I still need to dig through the Marlin config to see what bits I may have missed, but it might just work.

If I can get it to jog and home properly, I’m going to install CNCjs and play with that too.

2 Likes

The core is looking nice!

4 Likes

IPA and a magic eraser, good…or better than new.

Those prints look so good though.

1 Like

My renewal process is:

• Clean with IPA (Acetone if there is any stubborn ABS stuck to the sheet)
  • Scrub with 3M 7447 pad
  • Wash with sent free Dawn scrubbing with medium bristle brush
  • Pat dry with paper towels
  • Place on pre-heated bed and wipe down once more with IPA and new paper towel.

While seemingly excessive, this does a great job of minimizing irregularities on the surface and prevents any oils from fouling the PEI.

2 Likes