Ring and Hook game

Well I could have made this using power tools but what’s the fun in that?!

I drew it out in Inkscape and then used estlcam to set up the cuts. I learned how to do cut backs in the corners of square holes and tried to do a tool change that didn’t quite work well. I’ll need to play with that some more.

I made it from left over 3/4” plywood and a couple bucks in hooks and rings from the hardware store.

I’ll probably make another one and I need to make the square holes a bit smaller for a tighter fit and the top of the vertical piece longer so I can sand it down flat but other than that, I think it worked pretty well. It’s a fun game to play too!

Anyway, here are a few pics.

Some earlier cuts.

All done! It took two hours or so b/c I’ve got it on pretty slow settings as I’m still learning how to use it.

Dry fit is a bit loose but it’ll work.

All done and ready to play!

Here’s the SVG if anyone wants to make one…
RingHookGame_v2

8 Likes

How do you play this game? It looks like fun.

Here’s a video of people playing it… I haven’t played the drinking game version as I’ve only played with my 13 year old son :slight_smile: So far it’s only been a way for us to talk more smack to each other than we already do.

3 Likes

OH! That makes perfect sense. Great project.

There was a breakfast burrito place that operated out of a permanent food truck in Golden, and they had one of these in their patio, but it was just one side, hanging off of a 2x4 above your head, and the string was about 4 foot long. It was pretty addictive to play while you were waiting for your food. This size seems perfect. My kids would love it. I bet you they would even play if they had to eat a bite of broccoli when they lost :smiley:.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the bigger ones too but this is a quick/fun game for when we’re snowed in during the winters. We’ve also got a bunch of family coming into town for Thanksgiving so I’m trying to make a few things to have on-hand.

That would be a great way to play it!

2 Likes