Router bits Makita in Europe

Hi!

I just finished the test crown and now I’m looking at what router to get… I think I’ll get the MAKITA RT0700CX5J. Seems like a popular machine.

(Or is a 500w China spindle better? I want that Makita anyway for regular routing though :))

Now…bits!
From what I’ve read single flute bits, v-bit (60?) and some ball bit is good to start with.
Most people recommend buying from Ryan here but the shipping is quite expensive to Sweden unfortunately. Also, the Makita router comes with 6mm and 8mm collets I believe which doesn’t fit the 1/8” bits, right?

I’ve looked on AliExpress as well as Amazon but there’s just sooo much that I’m not sure what to pick :sweat_smile: I’ve never used a router or CNC before either.

So, does anyone have some tips on bits that fit this Makita router?

Thanks!

Forgot to add! I’m going to mill wood. No aluminum etc.

As for the 1/8 collet: You will not get around buying one, either from Ryan, which are the ones from Elairecorp. They are pretty good, I bought one before Ryan had them.
Regarding the router bits: in Germany we have a few good manufacturers/shops, for instance Sorotec Online-Shop - Sorotec Online-Shop. I buy everything there. They are quite pricy but absolutely worth it. Shipping to Sweden might still cost a few bucks, but I guess it’s cheaper than from America.

Maybe @turbinbjorn can give you some hints, he is Norwegian, so basically your neighbour. :smiley:

Well hello there neighbour! :smiley:

I’ve bought bits from aliexpress, Ryan and ebay. Getting bits locally from brands like CMT, is priiicey. Ryan has good prices, but shipping and import taxes makes it a steep total. If you go through Ebay, you’ll get shipping and import taxes calculated right at the store, which is super convenient. I wish Ryan had that option, that would make it an easy choice to use his store!

The ebay seller that I’ve been using and who’s popular at the forum here is Drillman/Oliver tools: OLIVER TOOL COMPANY | eBay Stores - great prices and great quality.

BUT - since you’re in the EU (and we are not - sigh), you might have luck with some in-EU stores that have good prices and let’s you get away with VAT and taxes and such. In this regard, @Tokoloshe might be just as good for hints :wink:

1 Like

Argh so many decisions :sweat_smile:

1. Makita with 1/8” Elaire collet
  2. Makita with 6mm bits (seems like the smaller 1/8” are preferable?)
  3. China 500w CNC spindle with ER collets which should work with all bits?

I guess I should decide on that first and then just buy some random bits to try with.

Hmmm :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1/8" collet for the makita is advisable. The selection is great for that shank size. Then you can use the 6/8mm collet that comes with the router for courser stuff.

I’ve been using the cheap collet converter sleeves with success as well. I think I paid $7 for a five pack on Amazon. I’m sure the Elaine would be better for longer bits but for 19mm ply the adapters work fine.

Thanks all!

I just ordered a 1/8" collet from Elaire and a Makita RT0700 from a shop here in Sweden.

What do you think about something like these bits to start with?
https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B07FGFHTG8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A34YB0KCW7VYZT&psc=1
(Sorry, I know it’s in Swedish but perhaps people can figure it out anyway? Not sure how to change the language, if possible)

I’m going to try and find some kind of v-bit as well.

I’ll be using them for different kinds of wood. No metals.

I don’t know about the quality of the bits, but I like the geometry. The first two are single flute bits, which work well with the MPCNC. In my experience, single flute bits are not as common, and therefore more expensive. Single flute bits allow you to either cut slower without burning the wood, or run at a higher RPM, and therefore not lose as much torque. This is less important for the Makita which has an adjustable RPM than for the DW660, which has a fixed RPM of around 30K, but still helpful.

Google translate FTW.

I have an Amazon set like that.

The single flutes are NOT as good as the ones that Ryan sells. You’ll need to be more careful about them building up heat, however they’re dimensionally good and for as long as they stay sharp, cut nicely.

The double flutes are actually pretty nice. I used them for acrylics. I lowered the spindle RPM to keep chips from melting/sticking, and they came up with a very nice cut with a little flame polishing.

I haven’t used the small ones, as they’re too short for the only thing that I wanted smaller bits for.