SD card compatibility problems

I have a weird problem from the beginning with my MPCNC: it doesn’t work with all of my SD cards.
The machine recognizes that a card is inserted, but when I try to print from SD it says “no SD card”
This doesn’t happen with all SD cards, I had two of them that were working just fine, so I was using them until now.
But recently, I lost one of them and the other one starts acting funny, with random stops during prints for no apparent reason. I’m not 100% sure this is because of the SD card but it sure looks like it.
Anyway, I’d like to try solving my problem by trying another SD card, but the issue is that all the other ones I’ve got just don’t want to work with my MPCNC. They all show “no SD card”.

I’ve bought some new ones and still got the same problem. The formatting is correct, I tried various sizes from 128MB up to 4GB and even 8GB. None of them want to work. They do, however, work fine on my Delta printer.

Does anyone has a clue as to what is going on? Would really appreciate some help, I can’t figure it out.

I had this problem as well. For me it was just a loose cable / bad connector. I took the ribbon cables out and compressed the connectors on each end with a pair of pliers. This magically fixed my ability to read SD cards.

I don’t think this is the problem here since it works fine with some SD cards. If it was a problem with the ribbon cable I assume none of the cards would work at all.

Does that mean they’re FAT32? My windows machine didn’t even offer it as an option any more and used FATX, which didn’t work.

Probably FAT32 yes, it was the same between all the SD cards I tested and I remember that the first thing I suspected was the formatting, so I’m sure I made my research at that time and did select the correct one :slight_smile: . I’m still using windows 7 on all my machines so I still have this formatting choice.

Smaller cards work best, less than 32G. 4 and 8 gig would be ideal.

This is going to sound really really weird… but double check the connectors. I had the same issue. My issue went even so far that some cards would sometimes work and sometimes not. While doing something completely unrelated, I took apart my LCD case and discovered one of the cables was just ever so so slightly loose. I reseated both cables fully, put the case back together and all of the SD cards I’ve tried since have worked fine.

1 Like

I think I tried all the possible sizes. I had two cards working, one was 128MB, the other one was 2GB.
On my Delta printer all the SD card I tried work fine, no matter the size.

I have the MPCNC since about 3 years now and have gone through a lot of different iterations, changed all the hardware several times since I had a few ramps and arduino who died, also changed the cables for shorter and longer ones. Didn’t make any difference.
Now that I think about it I think the only stuff I didn’t change was the screen board so it’s possible that could be the issue. I’ll try with an other one, maybe that’ll solve the problem. Anyone knows if there would be different versions of the reprap discount boards and if they have any kind of internal chip to boot or control the SD cards?

I’m pretty sure the pins are wired directly from the motherboard to the pins in the socket, and the LCD stuff does not touch the SD path at all.

Edit: nope, it looks like there is a level shifter (74HC4050) as indicated here

and seen here:

But nothing other than the level shifter should be in the path between the motherboard and the SD socket.

1 Like

Maybe that little 3.3V voltage regulator?

I wonder if a bad voltage shifter could cause the issues you’re seeing. If the clock pin gets out of sync with the data pins at faster data rates that nicer/better/more expensive SD cards can run at. Do you have any slower speed cards laying around? Do you know if the two cards that did work were rated for slower speeds?

Try to reformat the card. Do a full format not a quick. This usually solves my problem unless the card is fried

Already did that a thousand times :wink:
Didn’t work.