Shop Updates (originally Decided to move)

Currently making my Christmas list…

It’s amazing how much stuff you need when trying to run dust collection to all of your shop tools.

1 Like

Especially time!

Yes, but it will be so nice when it’s done.

Today I’m playing with all the toys…

I got a 4.7* .5mm ball nose end mill for Christmas, so I’m trying my hand at doing a relief carving with the MPCNC while I continue testing the laser engraver.

1 Like

It was 45F this morning when I went out to the shop at 7am. I turned on the heat, and I got some boards broken down to stabilize before I finish with the 4s. I came in at 9am when the boy came looking for me for breakfast. I had him help me with a few passes on the planer first.

It’s now 30F outside and I’m hibernating under covers.

It should be pretty enough tomorrow to get some more work done.

That sunset!

3 Likes

That is a picture worth framing!

Spent yesterday in the shop. The weather could not have been more perfect for February to get some shop therapy.

I was going to build a maple spice rack, but the MIL called my wife and asked when I was going to build her rat of a dog a ramp so it can get on her bed.

So I pulled up pictures on the web of the one she sent me and got to work reverse engineering it. She offered to pay for materials. The one on the web is $155. I spent $100 on materials and spent 6 hours building it. Good thing I don’t charge labor.

1 Like

“If you had a real dog, it wouldn’t need a ramp!”

But that’s just me. If it can’t drink out of the toilet, it’s not a dog…

This is Orion, he was the big dog. I miss having dogs, but don’t miss the messes…

1 Like

That’s a small horse.

Our girl is a 45lb mixed lab.

1 Like

He was around 200 pounds and 34 inches at the shoulders. Harlequin Great Dane.

2 Likes

That human is tiny! Which explains the tiny door.

3 Likes

Playing catch with a regulation soccer ball.

2 Likes

It’s been a somewhat busy month in the shop. I’m still working M-F, but my weekends have been full.

I finally picked up a shop trailer. The wife asked me why. I told her it was for getting materials bigger than what the truck would hold. I didn’t tell her it was for tools I want to buy that the truck can’t carry… metal lathe, mill, 8" jointer… The trailer has about at 3000lb capacity. I think that will hold most of what I want to buy. I almost opted for the dual axel version but that was another $600.

The shop is also the current place for our brooder. We picked up 4 little chicks and have 3 more coming later this week.

I didn’t like any of the DIY plans for coops on the internet. A lot were too complicated, and the other half didn’t seem to have the features I wanted… so I designed my own. I placed an online order with Home Depot and am waiting for the email to tell me to come pick it up.

Finally, some actual projects in the shop. I finally cranked up the lathe and finished a bowl I started over a year ago. I had gotten frustrated with how it was turning and had stopped working on it. The second project is a coke/cola rack. Each slot will fit a 12-pack. I originally designed it to just slide the box into the slot. That worked, but it relied on your ability to rip open the end of the box and leave the bottom front in tact. I knew that wouldn’t work long term, so I 3d printed some fronts. If you start at the bottom of the rack you can see the 3 step design progression it took. The first one worked well, but used a lot of supports. Same with the second one. The third design still took supports but ended up being half the amount of material as the first one.

4 Likes

Started work on the chicken coop.

Here’s the end of Day 1

2 Likes

End of day 2… I actually stopped at around 1PM.

I knew I’d be designing the windows and doors as I went, so I didn’t order trim. I’ll go get trim and paint later this week and hopefully finish building next weekend. Then we’ll have to build the chicken run.

2 Likes

We have been doing the Harbor Freight greenhouse here.

Needless to say, I’m the one sitting down, that my neighbor up on the ladder. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I swear this is an A&M thing… What kind of Coke do you want? We have San Pelegrino, Mountain Dew, root beer, and Dr. Pepper. And no Coke.

3 Likes

That’s a Texas thing. Not just A&M :slight_smile: Happens everywhere in Texas. There’s an article about language differences in the US. What you call a ‘soda’ is one of the defining words in speech. Access road/feeder street/frontage road is another one.

@billsey That greenhouse looks really good. Did you google some of the mods/upgrades people make to it? It’s still one of the things on my ‘list to do’. It’d allow me to start plants earlier in the year instead of in my shop.

It’s all coke in Georgia too.

3 Likes