Should I build Burly or Primo

Hello,
early this year I bought all the parts (screws, electronics, had the metal cut, …) to build the Burly MPCNC.
All is left to do is print the parts.
I was just made aware, that there is a new version - the primo.

It seems i can’t use most of the screws, …
Under these circumstances, would you advice me to build the primo and buy new parts or stick with the burly?
Greetings, Tom

I find the Primo an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary change. It incorporates a number of smaller changes that add up to a better user experience:

• Upgraded from 6mm to 10mm belts
  • Stiffer core resulting in less deflection
  • “Throwback” mounting that has the spindle less cantilevered
  • Easier belt tightening system
  • More types of adjustments available

And I’m sure there are other things I’m missing. Assuming you have not 3D printed your Burly parts, the additional cost for doing Primo will be in the $50 to $100 range depending on where you source your parts. If the around $75 is not a problem, I’d lean towards doing the Primo. Going forward parts, advice, etc. will be more readily available. But the Burly is a perfectly capable machine, and the difference in your experience will not be huge.

3 Likes

I totally get your dilemma.

Do you use the parts that you already bought, or go for the “latest greatest” since you aren’t 100% invested?

For me, I would trust that I’d use the parts I already bought for something else, and if you haven’t invested a lot of time (including 3D printing time) then I’d probably go for the Primo. In printing time alone, there’s plenty of time to get the newer hardware together.

Though when money is tight, buying more might sway me the other way, to use what I already spent on. That’s the pivot for me. How much are you going to miss the cash that replacing parts you’ve already bought?

Either way, I believe that you’ll end up with a very capable machine

1 Like

Go for the primo! Unless you are completely in a pinch moneywise, the primo is worth the extra money if you ask me

1 Like

I was in the same spot: I had bought everything and waited for my 3D-Printer. During that time the Primo got released, so I bit the bullet and bought the stuff needed for the Primo. It was a good choice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for all your answers. Can anyone say without having to look it up what I can still use from my first order?
I see some of the screws can still be used, some I have to reorder and I need a new belt.
Are the Motors still the same? The electronics too?

Yes, motors and electronics are the same. Screws, belts, pulleys and idlers have to be bought. You could use the 6mm belts still, but it is not recommended. If you check the website, there is a list what you need for the upgrade exactly (https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/parts/products/mpcnc-burly-to-primo-hardware-kit).

2 Likes