Single endstop switch worked, now misbehaving

I finished the build for my CNC last week using a brand new Rambo board from V1. I ran two successful test cuts, with all X Y and Z homing working correctly.

Then suddenly yesterday, I start a cut and the X axis tries to tear itself apart. After a decent amount of troubleshooting, I found one of the two endstops (X0 if you’re curious) must be reporting as triggered because it doesn’t move at all during a home operation. (If I turn off soft endstops, both motors move just fine via LCD, so it’s not a motor issue.)

I had some switches from a previous project, so I tested swapping the X0 switch, but the same behavior remains. I ran a project without X homing, but left Y homing on and it worked fine.

I saw some notes in the forums about trying a firmware update to handle noise, but I’m not sure if a firmware change is the right answer when just one endstop is at issue and didn’t start that way. Are there any other suggestions?

Which board?

Check endstop functionality with M119. You can use repetier host from a computer or the terminal if you have the touch screen.

This board https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/parts/products/rambo-v1-3l Using the firmware Ryan flashed it with - Marlin with Dual Endstops

I have a LCD on it. It’s hard to get a computer to it right now, but I can try tonight

As I feared, X0 is reporting triggered…

Sounds like a wiring issue. Does it change to open when you press it?

I was finally able to get a Pi on my build so I could check this more easily. It reports triggered regardless of if it’s engaged or not. The other switches change their status correctly.

It should be wired at the switch on the C and NC. The resistance should be zero when it isn’t pressed. On my desk test rig, I check things by just jumpering across the S and - pins (do not short the +!)

As far as I can tell, it’s all wired correctly. I have all 4 switches on NC and tested using a different switch I have (also wired NC) and it behaved the same. I don’t have the supplies to jumper it today, but that’s a good next step. I’m betting, if there’s not a defect in my board, that the wires to the one switch broke sometime after that first run. I could try terminating with a new dupont connector next

The little red jumpers it came with work great for jumpering it. I would just unplug it first, so you don’t accidentally tap that +5V pin with them.

Mine didn’t come with any jumpers. I guess Ryan doesn’t include them on the ones he ships out. I’ll have to find or make one soon

I made a jumper and it did correctly register the circuit as closed. It’s not the board, but the wire or the connectors to the switch. Guess I’ll have to make a new wire for that limit switch

1 Like

In the end, the wire wasn’t broken, the connection between the switch cable and the extension had come loose, even though it was liberally electrical taped.

I unhooked all the wiring, rerouted the cables as I had been meaning to do, and re-secured all the connections between the motors, switches, and extensions. Since then, I haven’t had any issues with homing.

1 Like