SKR v1.2, TMC2209, TFT35 Problems

Well i am getting crazy here. The thing is… i trigger the Z homing. one stepper runs smoothly the other one steps and steps, or steps a little more but falls down again. As soon as i just touch the underside of the X/Z block i runs smoothly again. dont get me wrong i do not lift this buy hand i just barely touch it. It feels like the X Axis is jsut to heavy for the steppers. i get the feeling that its getting better as soon as i push the spindle to the middle

You bought very large steppers 84oz in, you might need more driver power but it is far more likely you are just having problems with your Z axis. Did you lube it, does it easily move when twisting it by hand, does it bind with the table (too close or crooked)? Are you moving it too fast No more than 15mm/s up/rapid? Did you leave the T8 nut slightly loose?

Do you steppers get warm when in use for a while

Do you have a bunch of stuff hanging off the side of your plate?

I know you feel something is electronically wrong but it is nearly always a mechanical issue with the LR2 z axis.

Time to upload pictures. Please post pictures of your build from several angles so we can look for all the usual mistakes.

I assume you mean Z. Not this is not the case. Even with smaller steppers My previous build easily lifted the entire setup plus 50 lbs, or something like that. I have a video on youtube showing it. Binding in some form is nearly always the culprit.

Another thing you can do is take the entire Z axis and gantry off the machine and check to see if your Z rails are parallel. You can do this by measuring the gap at the top of them, and at the bottom. This is the most common build issue. This can not be measured while in the Y plates.

1 Like

I made a mistkae at the calculation. my table is 4,5’ wide.
But i will take the machine apart and put it together onemore time. Than we will see.

I will also do the meassurements u mentioned above. @Ryan

I would be in your best interest to upload some pictures so we can take a look for any obvious errors. Doing this blind is not easy, all we can do is throw all the options at you.

After 2 weeks of trying there is sadly no solution.

pictures is not possible atm, because the LowRider is disassembled. What i tried is reassembly, series wiring of the steppers with Firmware from V1-Page. And changing the steppers around.

No changes with the problem. the Z-Axis moves up and one or both steppers drop suddenly. with an aligned axis (by measuring) it seamsto work better (not good) as soon as i touch the x-axis tube with a finger with no real pressure, one or both Z Steppers drop.

No I will redo the Y-Plates. I will order these from a CNC-machining company that these are 100% correct.

But i dont know what could be wrong. I willalso reprint the printed parts now (maybe i will order them two)

Still on Solution.

New printed parts
New Board
New Drivers
The old Steppers
New PSU
Completly new Wiring

I have a video of the z axis losing torque not only losing steps. Where should i Upload the file?

Axis is Not only losing steps it drops down a bit depending on the height.
If i lift the axis by hand and then try to controll via tft the axis falls all the way down.

Please upload a picture of your board and Z steppers.

I will take a picture tomorrow. I think its important for u to see the wiring?

Absolutely

I fought a very similar problem that I finally solved this week. The connector on the stepper itself had a pin that didn’t lock in the connector correctly. It backed out 1/32" when mating the matching dupont connector…and didn’t make a clean connection.

I found the problem by taking the Y stepper cable and connecting to the Z stepper motor. Activating the Y stepper…it only moved forward and stalled in reverse. New connector solved the problem.