SKR1.4 upload issues

And dummies like me keep on learning :grin:

Just to let you all knowā€¦I havent forgot about trying the firmare here, I just may be going away for work in a week(maybe) and I am trying to get a few things done. So have not been in front of the printer.

Wellā€¦I have spent most of the morning messing around with this. Used the firmware here and the result is still the same. No changes to the settings in the eeprom.

I can see the file has changed from a bin to a cur file and the time stamp is also correctā€¦but it is not loading at all to the board. I have switched back to the config file I had beforeā€¦same result. I can see the bin fin on the card, I load it and can see the file has changed to a cur fileā€¦but those changes are not going to the board. It is still the same settings as were there before.

Soā€¦it is loading on the cardā€¦but the board is not reading the card for some reason

1. it will not do anything unless you send M502.
  2. check the version of the firmware with M115. You can change it to something else to make sure it is being flashed. It should be v510

Like I saidā€¦the firmware file shows as a bin file. Then when I power up the board it is showing as a cur file. I am doing the M502 followed by the M500. The updated file is there on the sd card but the board is not reading it. It stays with the same settings that were on the board previouslyā€¦with no change. So the files are going to the sd card from the computerā€¦but not the sd card to the board. It is like the the sd card reader on the board is no longer reading anything

Reading some more on thisā€¦is it possible that the bootloader had been corrupted or lost? How would I even know that there is a bootloader on the card? I assume that is where it should be.

And now during upload I am getting an ā€œunable to find destination disk errorā€ so it is totally not reading from the board now at all when trying to upload.

Youā€™re not grabbing the .bin for the low rider are you? Thatā€™s exactly what happened when I did that by mistake. Also are you trying to send the M502 from the terminal on the TFT screen? Because if you are then youā€™ll need to make sure your baud rate is correct after you flash. Your TFT might still be set to 115200 but the .bin files on GitHub that Iā€™ve downloaded all have 250000. So if you flash a github file and it changes to 250k on the board, your TFT terminal isnā€™t sending anything to it unless you change it to match the board. Try sending M502 from repetier host via USB

I am trying to help. Iā€™m not sure why you arenā€™t doing M115 to make sure it is being flashed.

There should be no uploading. You should be compiling and then doing a manual copy of the file. But besides, the .bin from our site is already compiled and you shouldnā€™t even have to open vscode.

Itā€™s fine if you donā€™t want to take my advice, but I will be honest, I tend to check out after a while.

1 Like

I did as you suggested. I loaded the file. I put it to the sd card via the computer. The reinstall the sd card. Through Pronterface I have to do the M502, then M500. Power off the board then power back on.

After the board powers back on the new firmware should be loaded on the board. I did the M115 and the loaded firmware that was on the sd cardā€¦is still the same as it was. As I had said, I did this all this morning, with no changes.

So I am not sure how I did not take your advice.

Bin for the low rider? Not sure I understand.

As far as loading g the firmware I am doing nothing any different than I have been doingā€¦where it has always flashed to the board. There are no changes to the sequence that I was doing things. The M502, M500 I do this from Pronterface. I get the message saying stored, and saved. But nothing has changed on the actual board.

When I downloaded the precompiled bin files I got the one with ā€œLRā€ in the name one time and didnā€™t know that was for the low rider. But it did the same thing, the bin file changed to .cur and no changes were made, and one time it just completely erased the flash I did have so it temporarily bricked it

This is also with the file I already have and been using. Same result. But I will double check the file

So, I have always been told to upload, then go to pronterface then M502, M501, then turn off the printer to finalize. It was what I have always done and always worked.

This time I forgot to go to pronterface and had a brain fartā€¦turning off the printer before I did the M502, M501. I turned the printer back on and the program had actually loaded (the way it should).

I have verified this action on the original file I was trying to upload, the file from here, 2.0 bugfix and the new marlin 2.0.8. Each and every time it loaded as it should and all verified with M115. Each time I go to pronterface and do the M502, M500 then turn off the printer(as I had always done) the files will not upload as intended, what ever file that was there is the file that stays there also verified with M115.

Butā€¦once the file has been loaded I can not change a setting then recompileā€¦as an example I canā€™t change a setting to invert a driver. Soā€¦I sort of further ahead but not really

This is the first time I have seen you running M115. Thatā€™s what I was referring to.

And are you sure you are grabbing the newly compiled file? Can you change the version string (which isnā€™t stored in eeprom), compile, and then make sure that change appears in M115?