Solid core door

I used a solid core door for my workbench and its held up well. What do you guys think of using this as the table for the lowrider.

This is what I am referring too.

I believe Paradoxpete has done this successfully.

Keep in mind you’ll lose about 12" on the width. But other than that, it will work great.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure how much I was going to loose. I am doing the 3d prints now, but hope to get 24" of width out of it. Will a 36" door allow me to cut to 24"?

You can take a look at the low rider calculator, but I remember it being between 10-12" lost in each direction. You can eke a few more inches if you attached some rails on the outside for the wheels to ride on, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of a nice flat door.

I did indeed do exactly this.

I used a 32x80 inch door I got cheap from the local Habitat Restore. This provided a 24x65 inch usable cutting area.

I have enlarged it once when I wanted to do some cuts longer than the 65", and I’m considering options now to enlarge for full sheet…

I do think the solid core door approach is a great easy way to get a working Lowrider. I just keep coming up with new project ideas that require (or at least would benefit from) a larger working area. 8^)

I would still start with the door if I were doing it again. It was an easy way to get a working Lowrider, that fit in my space. A full sheet machine is going to need to be fold-able or something to fit in my shop space. That is a project in itself, and I’m still mulling over the issues and options.