[Solved] Import particular DWG to Fusion 360

hi guys
now it’s a time when I also need a bit help.
I’m tring to start building new 3d printer.

drawings.zip (545.2 KB)
2x%20heated%20bed%20base%20spacer
The project has set of DWG files which are parts of body of the printer. And I going to cut these parts with my mpcnc of course with using fusion 360 as CAM.

I have downgraded my fusion license to personal. So i can’t import dwg directly (but as i remeber i had similar troubles with these dwg too, when tried to import them a few months ago)
So I converted them with an online converter (2 times with 2 different sites) to DXF.
Unfortunatelly Fusion wan’t import it. It opens the file, but there is no any sketch. With other DXF files Fusio works properly.
At the same time Estlcam imports the DXF (latest Estlcam - with a warning).
I have tried to handle it with a various software -
FreeCAD 0.18, nanoCAD 5.0, LibreCAD, OpenSCAD, SolidWOrks 2019.
None of them can properly deal with these DWG.
And only nanoCAD could open and properly draw DXF that I got from online converter. But if i try to export it from nanoCAD to a new one DXF file (with various dxf versions) - it still not importing to Fusion.

There is fallback way - use online conversion to SVG and then import it to Fusion (directly or via svg->openscad->dxf transformation). But scale of drawing became wrong.

What about opening the dwg with something else? Does LibreCAD support dwg? Or maybe onshape?

I had tried to open dwg.
Librecad just draw it as black area. Same thing with solidworks, no matter is i try to import some single layer to a sketch or import all layers. Freecad does nothing at all. Nanocad draws black screen. So no luck. When i saw drawing for dxf at least for some cases, dwg was not rendered all the time

I guess it was drawn in Compass. But i haven t it. And if the author will not provided some different set of files (i asked him) then i will spend a couple hours to redraw it manually from dimensions specified on jpeg pictures.
Just had a hope may be someone has a magic way to fix strange dwg/dxf files

I just neither of them work in solidworks either. I am guessing they are the wrong format or something.

I take that back. They do not work in the drawing viewer but I can open them in solidworks CAD. They have way too many layers and are formatted weird, they hang off the page somehow. Everything seems to be in Russian so I have no idea what all the layers are. I am guessing that is the issue as there are never usually that many layers.

Yep, it looks like he used Compass CAD. It’s software made and popular in Russia.
I downloaded free compass viewer.
And i found a reason. )
His drawing is in paper space. The model space is just empty. When i open the file in model space (which is, by the way, default mode if the viewer) - i see layers tree, but nothing renders. But when i open it in paper space - i see same layers tree and drawn picture of the part.
Such files don’t properly shown in most software. And it’s crazy not obvious reason to understand why you see empty screen)

1 Like

So, I solved the task. I had imported DXF (not DWG, it’s important) to SolidWorks 2018 (ehh… byt he way, the free license that solidworks shared a year ago is near to end and i still don’t even tried to study it).
Then I set “export only active sheet” in the solidworks DXF export options and export to another DXF file.
Now this new one DXF file could be properly imported to Fusion 360 sketch.
Even after I realized what is the issue most of my software except solidworks was not able to help. FreeCAD, LibreCAD, nanoCAD -none has enough options to tune dxf import/export.

2 Likes

To bad the free version has the 3 year limit for “start ups”. I don’t I feel like a start up but I am willing to be one for free CAD! Or maybe that is a bad sign that after 3 years of business the Fee for Solidworks does not seem comfortable on the budget.