Spindle Drops when I turn it on...I am using GRBL and Easel

I use the Dewalt 660. Everything has been great until 3 days ago. I reworked my board to be grbl and use Easel software. It is just easier for me. Everything was fine until a few days ago. I can get everything line up and then I turn on the Dewalt on and then the bit slowly descends. The bit is securely tight. I can turn it off and it will stay put but as soon as I turn it back on, it descends. Is something loose or is the motor bad? Is there a setting in Easel that I need to set? Or do I need to go into Universal Gcode Sender and change a setting?

I love the machine and my son just bought his kit and I have others that are interested in but this has ruined some wood already. I need a fix.

Is it just the bit, or the whole Z?

It is the whole z.

Itā€™s the vibrations from the motor causing the z to slowly rotate and allow it to drop. Mine does it too.

The way I combat this is, I start the gcode first and then I turn on the spindle as itā€™s moving to the first hole/spot. Itā€™s not ideal, but itā€™s working for me.

If the stepper motors are active/engaged, then the Z wonā€™t drop. I think thereā€™s a G command you can send that would enable the steppers. So you could run that command, then turn on the spindle, then start your Gcode.

Looks like Itā€™s M17? http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M017.html

I might have to try to add that to my start commands.

I am newbie. Does it matter that I am running grbl? Would that code work or should I look for something that works with grbl?

Not sure if thatā€™s available.

An alternative approach would be to set your x,y,z 0 point. And then use the LCD to jog the machine up and down .1mmZ This should energize all the steppers once you make the movement. I ā€˜thinkā€™ once you jog the machine, the steppers will stay energized. You should be able to then start the spindle and not have the Z slowly drop. Iā€™m just guessing at this as I havenā€™t tested any of it myself.

1 Like

grbl is a bit different. I just set the idle to 255:

Mine was doing the same, and I worked around it by pinching the leadscrew between my fingers when I turned on the spindle, then when I started the job with my other hand, let go of the leadscrew. Very lowtech, but worked.

I have since added a Iot Relay and the code to the beginning and end of my gcode to turn the spindle on right after I start the job, and off at the end. Problem solved there, and I donā€™t have to be standing right next to the machine when it ends a job or risk the z falling and cutting through my work piece.

The Iot Relay was very cheap, and is a great upgrade for the system.

1 Like

You can also install a 1 start leadscrew. Your max Z feedrate will need to be reduced by 4x, and your steps/mm increased 4x.

Iā€™ve been trying to source some springs to fit over the Z-tubes in the hope they address this issue. I saw a pic (on this forum) where someone had done that and it seems like a reasonable fix. Havenā€™t had any luck finding an appropriate compression spring yet (quite weak and large ID) - just about ready to break down and try winding a custom one from music wireā€¦

Thereā€™s apparently an issue with skipped steps at high speeds with a 1 start leadscrew but I havenā€™t encountered it on my setup and it definitely stops the router from dropping when the steppers are powered off.

1 Like

Hah, weā€™ve gone from arguing, to posting each otherā€™s point of view. Is this really the Internet?

lmao just covering the bases. I am not immune to new ideas, I didnā€™t get that vaccine when I was young. :wink: Did anyone ever test if the skipped steps problem exists at low microstep values? Iā€™m thinking it might be marlin causing it and not motor torque loss.

1 Like

Jeffeb3 suggestion makes the most sense - change a grbl software setting (rather than grabbing the leadscrew while the machine is on, or adding springs).

I am using grbl with a CNC 3018 (and my MPCNC) and setting the ā€œStep idle delayā€ to 255 via the command

$1=255

keeps the stepper motors on all the time, which stops them from moving (unless grbl is used to tell them to move).

What kind of board are you using to run GRBL? Thanks!