Starting a quadcopter frame

“Man I have over thought all the design aspects of this stupid thing.” That’s really the point, right? Once it flies well, you’re going to find something else that interests you, I’m sure.

No problem Ryan.
That’s the point Jeff!

This thread makes me wonder how many of us are into the same things : 3D printing, CNC, lasers and multirotors!

I’ve had many multirotors and most wind up busted. Seems normal for the hobby.

Interesting design Ryan. I designed a small racer a couple years ago using hex tubes that I 3D printed. I too thought flat arms seemed counter-productive with regards to airflow. I have yet to apply an mpcnc to my multirotors but hope to soon!

quad.jpg

quad-cad.png

Fun seeing all the quad projects :slight_smile: I got hooked on the “Smaller is better” idea lately:

[attachment file=36317]

90mm motor to motor, 6a ESC’s, 1103 motors, pikoblx controller running pre-release version of dRonin.

I went through quite a few design revisions before settling on this…I still need to design some kind of prop guard for it so I can fly it in tighter areas, but outside in the open it’s a blast. I’m using really cheap crappy props right now but even so it’s almost as much fun as my 250 sized setups. Barely flyable LOS since it’s so small…but great for FPV.

I did swap the cam mount for one I printed in TPU instead - that held up way better.

Files and details are here if anyone wants to try one:

Printed in PLA it came in <80g with battery ready to fly. I’ve crashed it hard enough to bend the shaft on a motor but didn’t break the frame…well…I did break two of the flight controller mounting bosses off…but I only discovered that when I took it apart to move the parts to a new frame idea :slight_smile:

I also printed it in Nylon which made it lighter and a lot tougher - but it lost quite a bit of stiffness so I haven’t tried flying that version yet…and my printer isn’t great with Nylon…when it works it’s great but same files only 1 in three attempts at printing seems to come out and I can’t figure out why (It starts really underextruding, I’ve tried more and less heat but neither seems to help.)

Onshape design is here if anyone wants to mess around with it:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0ff58260891f62cc5d956c69/w/6c0088ba3a61f0eb9aca2b9d/e/6b1820b07c502b2d5d3d3fe6

2f61889fcab162beef67426b67803e4b_preview_featured.jpg

Something doesn’t seem right with that fidget spinner… I can’t put my finger on it.