SteveD's LR3 Manta MP8

Looking good! Thanks for posting pics and updates!

This has given me a lot to think about as I get close to bootstrapping my own setup. I especially like the track on the ceiling in the Y-axis direction for the vacuum and power. Do those attachment points slide, or are they fixed in place?

Thanks for the design! Just heaving the table on the sawhorses the laser level says I only need to adjust/shim for less than 1/2"

Alex:
They Slide. Wheel Trolley Assembly Rollers

1 Like

I really like this table idea. Looking forward to seeing how it looks when finished.

Darn it, that is great, using the new product on the floor to make its own table, that is vision right there!!!

Reading is fundamental, “In its default setup, this design is made for a tube length (X axis) of 56.49606″ (1435 mm).” No worries, couple of new pieces of 3/4" EMT and were back in business. I had the standard 1400 mm before I decided to build this table so my brain just fluffed over the X tube length in the docs.

I messed up and made the slots too large on a couple of spars. So I used them to make a Moxon Vise on the end of the table. If I don’t cut down the uni-strut I should get about 5 inches of vertical milling area.

4 Likes

This is what i was going to build recently, but money is short right now! I have always wanted the open end!!!

I knew I saw this table somewhere:

1 Like

I’ve been a Star Trek fan since childhood, so maybe some subtle subconscious design nudges happened?

1 Like

Love the vertical milling area and the pic of the table!

I know its just one piece but the clamps were on sale on amazon. Pony Tools 12", Heavy Duty Press Screw

Install video: Build a Inexpensive Moxon Vise

1 Like

Leveling the table: 16 of these under the table.

Far right corner is 1/16" out.

Without the two 1/2" spacers on the rails the standard 1400mm gantry fits fine.
On the table is the new 1435mm gantry (per table design). I’m printing all new braces because even though I was careful torquing the nuts on the old one, apparently I was not careful enough. On inspection almost every brace on the old gantry has hairline cracks.
Has anyone milled their braces out of plywood or something else?

2 Likes

Awesome!

Update: The overhead rail worked great! … until it didn’t.
The overhead rollers jammed with side loading, the resulting failure was quite dramatic.

Results of antenna testing.
V1 Engineering broadcasting station. :smile:
The antenna worked as advertised providing 5dBi of gain.
I had a smaller one inch antenna in my old parts bin that gave 3dBi.
Gain is a logarithmic progression so that’s some pretty good results.

2.4GHz Dipole Swivel Antenna with RP-SMA - 5dBi
RP-SMA to uFL/u.FL/IPX/IPEX RF Adapter Cable

3 Likes

Hopefully it wasn’t too disasterous.

I’ve also noticed that the trucks in my overhead unistruts have a tendency to twist with any side loading, so I’ve had to be very careful to keep cords and hose centered. Hoping it’ll work out long-term…

Is there any risk or way to avoid the table rolling off the metal struts?

I’ve never had it happen. Remember there is a long EMT tube referred to as “the Y rail” and the LowRider is guided by it in the long axis down the table’s length.

2 Likes