They keep selling, so I keep making 'em

Making these record crates has turned into a good little side hustle, I get to use my lowrider and I get to use the profits to keep buying records.

26 Likes

I think that’s awesome. Find a niche!

2 Likes

That’s got to have you “Feelin Alright!” :smiley:

(Yeah, Joe Cocker made it famous, but Traffic wrote it.)

That is awesome. Do you just glue them up, or use mechanical fasteners too?

I use glue and 8 screws. I’m sure the glue is strong enough, but I would really feel bad if someone was carrying one of these full of records and the bottom fell out.

1 Like

So do you ship them assembled? It would be cool if you could figure out a flat pack option IKEA style.

I assemble them and deliver them to the shop that sells them. I’ve definitely been thinking about changes I would need to make so I could ship it flat pack style, and while I think it’s pretty straightforward to assemble I probably would need to make some ikea style instructions.

2 Likes

Going to clear coat them and hopefully deliver this weekend.

7 Likes

Robert,
Those look way better than my plywood cuts. What kind of milling bit are you using?
?? 1/8th inch compression of some variety ?
Nice job!
Jim

I’ve been using 1/8" down-cut endmills. I don’t use a compression (up/down) for this since I wanted to run everything in one operation without a tool change and the logo portion is only about 1mm deep which would get tearout from the “up” portion of a compression endmill. The top faces come out pretty much not needing any sanding but the back does require some hand sanding.

3 Likes

Thank You very much. I will give them a try.

Back at it. The last batch sold through in one week. I’m going to have to start considering building a second lowrider, maybe a double decker under my first one.

2 Likes