Tool mount for Makita RT0700C on Burly F 25mm. I am confused

Just a noob question

I have builded the Burly F 25mm version and have a Makita RT0700C router.

looking for a tool mount i found different versions on thingivers but not sure what will fit.
The tool mount plate for the Burly F is stated to be

5/25/16 - New Center and Z Axis assemblies, universal tool mount.
in the revision log.

I guees that means that the interface to the tool holder is identical what ever Burly version it has been designed for. But then I found this a tool holder on thingivers it is stated in the comments that it is for is for the Burly C 23,5mm version.

Hello there, welcome to the forum! Which thingiverse item is this, can you give a link?

I also have a 25mm version and a Makita clone. I initially used this mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3500550.

Then I redesigned it slightly so that I can access the bolts from the front: makita-mount.zip (122.9 KB)

Both fit very well.

Sorry.
the system does not allow me to ad links.
it is thing:2235410 on thingivers

Thank you
I will give it a try

1 Like

It shouldn’t matter what size tubes you use. The tool bracket will fit to the ‘tool mount’ part, which should be the same for all three versions.

This part was different on earlier designs, but the difference is easy to spot. If it looks like it should fit, it probably will.

So basically, you’re right, and the thingyverse description is misleading.

1 Like

Not always true. My quick release Makita clamp bolts directly to the vertical Z tubes to save space. I have both a C and F rear plate but the F and J appear to be almost identical so I didn’t make a J.

I cannot recommend this one. I also used it because it seemed to be more lightweight than the other options but tighten the bolts turned out impssible for me. I used a long allen key and I serioulsy don’t know how you are supposed to turn the lower bolts.

The quick clamp or which one?

Since he replied to me, and I was just providing the link that you couldn’t as a new user, I assume that’s the one he’s referring to.

I, for one, wonder about the quick clamps!! Does anyone have any recommandations? @EdNiedziejko? I’m very happy with my solid Makita mount, but it’s impossible to disassemble it without having the whole afternoon off… is it possible to use a quick clamp mount, that is still stable and with minimal vibrations?

I just have to loosen three screws on my mount, takes 30 seconds tops. The mount on thingiverse I linked to earlier was a bit more annoying, because the gantry tubes got in the way. I had to move my mount up and down to loosen all three bolts. Not anymore with my little “remix”.

Taking the whole mount off of the Z axis takes a little more work though, but I rarely need to do that anyway.

Hmm, I can’t find back the mount I use. It has four screws in front and four on both sides towards the plate. A little overkill perhaps.

I use this one, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4017521 redesigned from a bosch mount. It connects directly to the vertical tubes, but if I need to change tools I just swap the whole Z axis. No screws, just 1 motor cable to disconnect.

3 Likes

If you’re gonna switch tools regularly, I think this HAS to win. Cost of some plastic, a stepper and some bolts because you probably only need half the lead screw you already bought.

That’s correct, that’s why the leadscrew is short… cut in half to make two.

1 Like

K Cummins is correct. I cannot recommend the thing 2235410

Wow - you both have two z axises, AND a quick clamp (self made) for the Makita. I’m impressed!

Unfortunately, I trimmed the lead screw, before hearing about having two z-axises. Now I’d have to order a new one. (that I can cut in two, so that I can make 2 more setups… (I’m looking for an MPCNC-Anonymous sponsor, btw!)

How rigid is the quick clamp setup? Does it impact accuracy?

Seems really solid. It’s also as close as possible to the XYZ carrier. The router top has 1mm gap. :wink:

Since my dust shoe deflects some of the downward air, I’m going to make a V2 that has an open bottom this weekend probably so if you want that instead don’t start printing anything yet. :wink: