Tool Swap and Z Axis

I am making a sample board with 1/4 inch end mill and 60 degree 1/4 v bit. I just completed my end milling and it is time for a tool change. I want to use the touch plate after I change to the v bit. I changed the bit, ran Z home on repetier and it says Z is at 0. I know that the touch plate is actually 0.5mm, but repetier isn’t letting me drop the gantry any further because I am assuming it thinks I am actually at 0 and maybe its a safety feature. When I try to carve the letters with the v bit, I am not making contact. What kind of G code editing do I need to do to solve this problem? I was thinking a G92 z0.5 so I would know that is the current height of the bit? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

G92 Z0.5 will tell marlin that you are indeed 0.5mm higher than zero. But it should also be able to jog into the negative. Try skipping the RH logic and just send G1 Z-0.5 and see if it will go below zero.

You need to be able to go into negative values for Z. The default V1 firmware will allow this.

I’ve been separating out the gcode for different tools so that I can do more with the swap, but I used to use a tool change that re-homed the Z and used G92 X0.5 to set the 0.5mm distance of the touchplate.

So you are saying that I am better off homing with the my Marlin and then moving down to negative and then when I move over to repetier, I can just use my usual G92 z0? Thank you for the help!