Ultimate Core XY?

A

7 Likes

I just watched this! I was thinking about the impact of a design like this on a CNC Router. Speed is nice, but what type of holding power does it have against the router? Would it get a ton of skipped steps in the X & Y?

I think I have about 30% of his mechanical skills, and about 0.1% of the programming. His videos make me want to bring both those numbers up. Just want to make sure I don’t say “fix it with software” too much or Heffe wins. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

Just give him something like this:

and have him fix it in software! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

“Fix it with software” is basically my day job.

8 Likes

He is one of the friendliest and down to earth content makers I can think of. His wife’s appearances are also super humorous. If I had more time in my life I’d spend more time in his channels and support through patreon to perhaps even learn something from it…

For many years, I haven’t even watched tv. Breaking bad, stranger things, gamenof thrones - I’ve never seen any of them… I don’t understand how people have the time. On the other hand - many people are surprised by the fact that I’ve built a cnc in my shed. I guess we all have different priorities! (And I’m very happy with mine)

7 Likes

“lets fix this with software”

proceeds to install several thousand dollars of sensors

Really neat machine. I want him to open a museum. I would spend a whole day there.

3 Likes

*** Heffe is here don’t tell him about the software comment**

Imagine the waver you would need to sign to get into that museum! I would like to be able to be a member of his private maker space.

I have a heck of a box of parts that did not fit a project as expected, steppers, bearings, control boards and screens. I bet his box of not used parts is extremely valuable.

4 Likes

As I said before, I just want his workshop……

So many toys !! :joy::+1:t2:

A

3 Likes

The issue with corexy is size. Realistically a 500X500mm printer is about as big as you really want to get. Even then you’re pushing it. Belt stretch starts to become an issue since they’re so long. Look at his. They’re flopping all over the place, which is why he has to square in software.

2 Likes

Instead of getting his machine to draw a square, he uses what - 5K+ of cameras and sensors, along with a whole lot of software to square it?

I appreciate his ingenuity in coming up with his solution, it just sounds like a government solution to a problem.

But all in all, it just shows what a genius can do with an unlimited budget !

1 Like

I don’t know about that. I used to work for the government. I’ve seen some janky stuff.

1 Like

FWIW, he did have those already.

And his goal isn’t just about finishing the task, it is also to entertain. So adding some bling is a decent choice.

2 Likes

I concur with (and can substantiate) this statement!!

I love to tell the mechanical engineers that they can design and build anything, but i make it work! I should add “programming to resolve design flaws” to my resume.

3 Likes

My brother wanted to be an architect, but allowed himself to be pressured into engineering, so naturally ended up as an engineer at an architecture firm. He has… opinions about making designs work…

2 Likes