V1Pi OpenVPN

I want to isolate my 3d printer from my university network for safer operation while allowing me to remotely monitor its camera from outside the lab. Physical network equipment like a router is banned. I was thinking of setting up an OpenVPN server at my off campus home, and routing both the V1Pi raspberry Pis and my control tablets through there to introduce segregation. But, I don’t know if this gets me anywhere.

If I set up an OpenVPN tunnel using V1Pi’s built in Net Management Features, and its on, can people from the same physical connection (so randos at the university sniffing net traffic) still access the Pi connected to my 3D printer, or does the OpenVPN tunnel block local wired traffic?

Not sure what the vpn overhead looks like on a pi plus you would need to connect the pc to the vpn as well. You might want to set up a small wireless router to create the vpn bridge. Then your pc and pi both connect to wifi and the router establishes the vpn connection.

Look at wireguard. It runs in a container and has a pretty simple config interface. I haven’t set up a linux client yet, but the androod client is easy.

This could work. They are designed to go the other way, to get access to the VPN side devices. So you may have to turn off some firewall settings.

I just barely know this. You can configure it this way in iptables on the pi. But if you ever lose that vpn connection, you will lose access.

The octoprint interface is coming over some port 4080, IIRC. That is actually forwarding to another port through HTAccess. You cam set a password on htaccess. You can also use the user stuff built into octopi. There are some options there. You could lock that down a bit. But remember, there is no security without physical security. Anyone who can touch the pi can get access to what is inside it.

And probably don’t use v1pi. Octopi is more up to date.

I prefer ZeroTier One vpn than openvpn, more simple and you have their web management console.
Installed on my home assistant pc, octoprint odroid, iphone, mac …
Works like a charm in few minutes

2 Likes