V1pi: unable connect to home network

I setup my v1pi today and attempted to connect it to my home wifi as a client. I’ve setup my wpa_supplicant.conf with the correct ssid and password. I see a device appear as a client on my router for a short time and then it drops off.

The v1pi.local address worked with ssh once, but never via http. I had an active SSH connection and http did not work, but I was still able to cruse around in ssh. Once I closed my ssh connection I was unable to re-establish it.

I can connect to the v1pi hotspot and that does work correctly but i can’t seem to get it to join my main network. One thing i noticed is that the v1pi hotspot is on channel 1 and my home router is on channel 11. I’ve read that it is possible for a pi be both a client and a hotspot but they need to use the same channel and I am wondering if this might somehow be a source of trouble.

I am using a pi3b.

Any insight would be appreciated!

James,

I’m pretty sure the V1pi can be either a hotspot or a local client, but not both at the same time.
Here it mentions two versions and they seem to be only one or the other.

WiFi setup seems to indicate the same thing.

Mike

I haven’t ever successfully gotten the hotspot version to connect to my network either. I would like to have only one version, but instead, the no hotspot version is the one you should be using.

I was sure that I downloaded the no hotspot version but evidence suggests that is not correct. I’ll check that next!

Sure enough, I had downloaded the hotspot image. Getting the new image now.

Using the correct image was an instant fix! I don’t know how I managed to download the wrong one as I knew there were two that did different things. I guess the rule of troubleshooting applies. Check the simplest explanation first.

1 Like

No worries. Thank you for returning and posting the solution. I am sure it will be helpful in the future.

I sure with the raspap worked better in client mode. I have some ESP32s that do that (they start in AP mode and then you use the web interface to configure client) and it works great. If I could do that for the v1pi, it would make things a little easier.

I need to return to the project and make a new version.

Jeff,

I just tried to install the no-hotspot image on a Pi 4 (2GB) and it wouldn’t run. I did modify the wpa_supplicant.conf with my network data, but it wouldn’t boot, (4 slow flashes followed by 4 quick flashes on the green LED). I hooked up an HDMI screen and the error that showed up said that I needed to update my PiOS for this model Pi.

Are you aware of any reason your image should work on a Pi model 4?

I can start all over from scratch to install my Hyperpixel drivers, then OctoPi and CNC.js if that is your suggestion. Should I start with the full PiOS install or the Lite version?

Mike

I have one pi4 running it. It isn’t new, but I don’t think they have updated the hardware enough to necessitate a new OS. What version do you have?