Vector Image Software: A couple bits of info

For those who have not been doing this a long time (like me), here are a couple things the might be of interest. Thought I would share.

Background
So I just basically try to make signs. Hence I do very basic things with Vector Image software:

• Write text, but endlessly search through fonts.
  • Align things.
  • Break apart paths, modify paths, etc.
  • Trace bit maps.

Inkscape 1.0 - Released May 2020

I like it better the 0.9x. Seems faster. Still need to explore the new features. Something that I was using before a bit (Hershey Text) is in fact now included (see this post).

However, one thing I truly dislike in Inkscape is font broswing or surfing. Nothing seems to have changed in the new version. This lead me for other solutions, which I post below.

Gravit Designer

As far as I know, there is a free version and a pro version. I think you can use Web Based or Desktop based. So far the free version does a lot and everything I need. The font tool (at least for me) is so much easier to use. Anyway, someone might have additional comments (good or bad).

See Gravit Designer home.

It may be inefficient, but I kinda now start out in Gravit (cause fonts is what I care about). Get the design pretty much where I want it and then export it to Inkscape to tweak paths, align things, etc. Frankly probably don’t need to do that, but like testing other tools. Here is something I found pretty much easy to do from scratch in Gravit. There is some built in clip art in Gravit as well.

Affinity Designer

I don’t know much about this. It is suggested to be in between Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator. The reason I mention it cause it 50% off till June 20 or something. I “pretended” to buy (like put one in cart) and it was like $35 bucks CAD which is like $25 bucks USD. As far as I know its not a subscription. Not bad for something that is supported.

P.S. It DOES NOT have Trace Bitmap (mentioned many times as a needed feature in their forums).

Affinity Designer

Comments welcome.

3 Likes

I find myself similarly taking forever to find the right font. What would be really cool, would be if we could use middle scroll wheel to cycle through texts for a given piece of highlighted text.
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll definitely have a look at Gravit Designer.