Wavy flag with Estlcam

Hello all, I am seeking some advice on how to carve a 3D Wavy flag with Estlcam. I have experience with 2D in Estlcam and it works great.

Here is a list of current issues:

1. Estlcam keeps all X,Y,Z axis uniform as in it wont let me make my dimensions to an 18"x32" on 1" stock.

2. I want to use a 1" cove bit on the physical waves (time saver). Next i want to use a 1/4" endmill to rough out the stripes followed by a finishing pass. Finally I want to use a 60 degree V bit for the stars. Estlcam seems to only allow for 2 tools to be used.

The CNC file purchased from Etsy comes with files for the 3 separate parts of the carve if necessary but I dont think Estlcam will allow the toolpaths to follow the waves in the flag if I do each one individually.

Any advice besides investing in V Carve Pro?

Also here are some screenshots of where I run into some issues

Unless the model has the base flag then the carved bits as separate 3d files, estlcam can’t do that. You could model the flag rectangle first, export that file as a stl, then project the stars and stripes onto the model, extrude into the model as holes a couple millimeters, then export that model. Then you’d open the first one and hog out the base shape with your big cutter, leaving a mm oversize. Then come back with your standard endmills to do the stripes, and a v-bit for the stars. If you can get the three tool changes to work, it’ll look awesome.

The 2d and 3d universes are separate in estlcam. 3d is always a raster or a waterline cut, and can’t do the “carve” style cuts that are needed for the sharp corners of the stars. So thats a real dilemma.

Estlcam firmware and controller is supposed to be able to carve 2d relative to a probed surface, which might cover your use case. But this is pretty involved amd could be a major rework of your system.

The third option would be to write your own cam postprocessor that would take the 2D blank wavy surface and modify a 2D toolpath of stars and stripes to map the depth onto the blank. This is only really an option if you are adept at that kind of software and you enjoy that sort of thing.

So I’m afraid there are no good options as far as I know.

V-carve will cut a 2D pattern on to a 3D and the free one everyone likes Fusion 360 will also I I believe

1 Like