What is the best Cura infill pattern to use with MPCPC parts?

I finally got around to setting up a Monoprice Select Mini for my kids to play with, and much to their chagrin I’m using it to finally start printing parts for an MPCNC.

What is the best Cura infill pattern to use with MPCPC parts? I’m thinking here “strongest part for least weight”. I’m currently doing the new (2018) feet using 25% infill (as per the “parts” document) using the “cubic” infill pattern with the “draft” profile (.2625 layer height) and 35mm print speed (as per an older “parts” document).

Is there anything that I should change for the feet? Is there anything that I should change for the other parts (other than the infill percentage as per the “parts” document)?

Hi

Personally I’d make sure your printer is correctly calibrated (the extruder) before starting the MPCNC. Start by printing a cube with no infill, no top or bottom layers and only 1 perimeter. Then use calipers to measure that perimeter. It should measure whatever your perimeter width is set to in your slicer.

Try this guide

Unfortunately I don’t have calipers at my current location. However after printing my first foot I did a test fitting on the pipe that I’m using, and the foot fit perfectly.

By “perimeter” you mean the Cura “shell” properties (wall thickness, top thickness and bottom thickness)? I am just using the defaults in Cura for my printer.

I suggest using 4 perimeters for the sides and 4 solid infill for the top and bottoms. It may seem like you just using more filament, but it helps with stiffness and I’ve been able to lower the infill to 40% using the gyroid infill in slicer prusa edition.

Hi Fred

For my 3D Printer I did a lot of testing to get any part looking the best I could, not just the MPCNC parts. I use Simplify3d and have the layers and infill set as this

All perimeters, Bottom, Top and walls 3.

First 3 layers set at 90’ to the bed, and then infill set @ 45’, for the MPCNC parts I used the recommended Infill % and have had zero problems. The parts turned out super strong with an awesome finish

regards

I assume that the orientation of the parts in the .stl files after they are loaded by Cura is the best orientation for printing?

Do I need supports turned on for any of the parts?

I printed the feet without supports turned on and they came out beautifully - almost no stringing and almost no zits on the prints.

I then printed one of the bottom corners, using the same settings and same filament that I used when printing the feet, except I had supports turned on, and this time I had some stringing and some zits on the print.

None of the new parts need support.

I’ve been using the Octet infill pattern for all my parts and haven’t had any issues with strength. Just going through the different infill patterns that one looked to provide the most even support to me. I’m no expert though :wink: