What options besides repetier host are available

Does anybody have a list of other options we have available besides repetier host to send the g code. While I have managed to get it to work and have setup scripts to manage a good work flow there are things I do not like about it and would like to explore other options. I have been searching for marlin compatible software but have not found much.

You might consider a raspberry pi set up with the V1Pi software.

Docs are here.

Mike

1 Like

Thanks mike but I’m not well versed in this and just curious how it works. Is it no longer marlin firmware and something else? The biggest thing is I want to keep the duel end stops. Can you give me a quick run down on how it works? Like does cncjs talk to octoprint and that translates to the marlin firmware or is it something else all together?

Any insight or a general way it works would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Never mind. I see that cncjs now supports marlin. When I was looking at it earlier the home page did not show it supporting marlin. I now understand how it works.

1 Like

If you have the standard V1 setup, you can save the gcode file to an SD card which you move from the PC to the CNC machine and use the controller to select and start the job.

Pronterface and Universal Gcode Sender (UGS) are alternatives I’ve used (on a limited basis) to sending gcode to the CNC machine or 3D printer from a connected personal computer (Windows, Linux or MacOS). My current setup relies on cncjs, which I’ve gotten through V1Pi running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

A google search for “gcode senders” will net you additional possibilities.

1 Like

How did you get UGS to work on a marlin setup? I downloaded cncjs last night and have not yet tried it. I’m not concerned with running any of this remotely or without a wired connection so using V1PI is not something that I’m all that interested in.

1 Like

Are you using the tft screen? I use a usb stick and plug it into the port on the screen. There have been zero issues doing his way. Plus, it keeps my computer out of the hot garage. This is not everyone’s cup of tea but works well for me.

I’m using the Rambo board and plugging my laptop into it. I do all my file work on my PC in the house and have a shared directory on my PC I save all my Gcode in. I then go out to the garage and open the file up with repetier host currently by browsing to my shared folder. I’m not worried about heat because if it is hot enough to mess up my laptop it is hot enough to melt my parts or at least soften them up.

Yeah, I’m in Florida and it gets hot as hell in my garage. Not a fan of repetier host either.

Cncjs has a desktop version. You can try that without the pi.

Octoprint on an octopi actually works quite well, IMO.

Pronterface works too.

2 Likes

I downloaded the cncjs desktop version and will be giving that a shot. I like the expanded macros that I can make and not limited to just the 5 on repetier host.

I have come up with a work flow that has used up all my macros/scripts on repetier host. This is my current work flow.

I have carved out an L that has an inner corner that is exactly at 100 x 100

1. Script 1 homes and squares everything up then moves to my tool change location.
  2. Script 2 homes and squares back up in case I moved things around while changing the bit and moves to 125 x 125 for probing
  3. Script 3 I run M119 to test the probe
  4. Script 4 I run the probe code of G28, G92, G0
    5 script 5 I run a G0 X100 Y100 then a G92 X0 Y0
    6 I start the job.

I find if I do this in this order I can know my home location is accurate and both X and Y are square to the system because the cnc cut the jig and as long as I square up my board before it goes in everything should be square to each other.

2 Likes

My Burly has a CNC Shield, so I’m running grbl, not Marlin. Sorry to not have mentioned that earlier.

It was my understanding there is not duel end stop support in GBRL so I am sticking with Marlin for now.

It is my understanding that grbl can do “auto squaring” with appropriate hardware, but my board only supports 3 drivers, so I haven’t gotten a chance to dig in to it.

I’m not advocating people move away from Marlin, as that’s the standard of all the V1 firmware. I know I’m an edge case.

The grbl 5x is a fork from grbl. It should be considered a separate project. It does strive to be the same as grbl, but it is a fork and has a different set of bugs.

The most common hardware is ramps like. But there is a rambo branch. With so few users, any trouble ends up being tough to solve.

FluidNC (the successor to grbl_esp32) is also grbl compatible and supports dual drivers and auto squaring. More mature than grbl 5x imo. But still not a ton of users.

Marlin is used by probably 90% of us here though. Many of the regulars have found another firmware, but the standard user just follows the doc and uses marlin.

3 Likes

+1 for fluidnc … I run marlin with cncjs on my cnc’s but bought one of Bart Drings fluidnc boards for my sand table. I love having a native webui on the controller.

1 Like

I have no issues with Marlin just issues with other software not expanding their option of supported firmware. I would be more than happy to pay a fee for a version of like UGS that supported Marlin. Heck I even paid for and got Vectric to work. I had way to many issues using Inkscape and importing into estlcam so I bit the bullet and purchased Vectric desktop. I have a few projects lined up to where I will more than make my money back and then some.

1 Like