What's the Tiny Touch Plate Neodymium Magnet for?

The Tiny Touch Plate on the V1 Engineering store comes with a 1/8 in x 1/4 in Neodymium Cylinder N42 (ND004) Magnet.

Could someone tell me what it’s for? The product description does not say and I haven’t been able to think of it’s function on my own.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

The touch plate is wired into your control board, you place the plate on something you want to probe the height of and the other wire connects to the bit in the router, you then send a probe command. The Machine will move until the bit touches the plate, making an electrical contact, and stops. You then know you are the plate thickness above the what you are probing eg. work surface or the top of your material, so can set the work origin based on that. You then remove the probe and start your cut.

1 Like

But what is the point of the magnet?

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t read the original post properly.

I think some people use a magnet to connect to the tool rather than the alligator clip, but I ant say for definite if that is what this is included for.

1 Like

Yea, you can grab the magnet with the alligator clip then it will just stick to the collet. Make sure the magnet is still in the clip before turning on the router!

3 Likes

Smart! I’ve sometimes found it a little finicky to attach the clip if the mill is tiny. A magnet would certainly make it easier.

1 Like

I use the magnet as a holder for when it’s not in use myself, but I’ve also used the magnet to hold the clip tot he tool for some bits that are difficult to get the clip onto.

2 Likes

Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks everyone. And here I thought it was just a free magnet with every purchase if a Tiny Touch Plate

1 Like

They are hard to find when the take flight :airplane: but its easier than!n untangling a wire from the mill :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

A 3-axis touch plate from a certain Canadian CNC brand (Long Mill) comes with the magnet approach only and no alligator clip. Touch Plate | Sienci Labs

Speaking of 3-axis touch plate, is that doable with the existing setup? Is it a software only situation to get the other two axes checked? Or are two more wires needed to two other pins in the board?

Multi-axis probing depends on the gcode command you use to do your probing. If the probe is wired in place of an explicit Z min or max end-stop (and the firmware set up that way), then you can only probe for Z with, e.g. G30. If the probe is on a “generic” probe pin, you can specify the probe axis, direction, and behavior with, e.g. G38.x where x controls probing option as per Marlin documentation.

1 Like

@ttraband

OK, thank you!! I am interested in whether my LowRider 2’s SKR Pro board as a “generic” probe pin, and how to go about setting this up. All help from the great community here is appreciated. I did some Googling of the forum for touch plate related posts and had a little trouble finding an appropriate existing thread.

I’m using grbl rather than Marlin, and a CNC Shield control board. My setup works fine as a generic probe pin (in addition to having a Z Max end stop), but I can’t help with the particular pins and configuration for the V1 firmware. I’m sure someone will chime in here soon with all you’ll need to know.

1 Like

For now, given both the affordability of the Tiny Touch Plate and its built in support in the V1 firmware, I’ll probably just order it and see how easy it is to have Z but keep doing what I’m doing for X and Y. If I later get into probing all three, I won’t be out much in the way of either money or time.

Funny! I was looking at this the other day. I was especially interested by the Estlcam video, for the alignment function shown at 1:06. Knowing myself that would be useful :slight_smile:

I am still struggling to figure out things, but I suspect regular probing all 3 will not be that difficult.
According to how I see things now you would do something like:

G38.2 Z0
→ probe Z axis and define it’s location as 0
G92 Z14.0000
→ set your probe thickness, in my case 14mm, so Z0 is actually -14mm
G00 Z19.000 F500
→ lift your probe 5mm above the sensor
G00 X-20.000
→ move x 20mm past the probe
G00 Z-0.5000
→ drop Z so it will touch the side when probing
G38.2 X0
→ probe X axis and set location to 0
G00 Z19.000 F500
→ lift your probe back 5mm above the sensor
G00 X20.000
→ bring probe back to starting point
G00 Y-20.000
→ move y 20mm past the probe
G00 Z-0.5000
→ drop Z so it will touch the side when probing
G38.2 Y0
→ probe Y axis and set location to 0

I am sure I will have made a noob mistake in my code, and values depend on probe location, but this my logic on how the Gcode works to probe 3 sides based on the G38.2 command.

When I find the time, I’ll try to simulate this using my regular probe, just to see if it responds to G38.2 Y or X. If that’s the case I suspect it might work, then I want to figure out a way to find that angle deviation.

One other thing I am looking for, is if I can permanently connect one wire of the probe (I use an alu base). But my test so far showed that the spindle shaft seems to be isolated on my Katsu:( although that makes sense somehow, as it’s some kind o a coil that makes the motor move :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol, already spotted a rookie mistake, if you would go back to the original starting point, to probe third axis, you’ll need to take into account thickness of the bit.
Although if you would move far enough, like 2cm in my example, this would be still ok.

1 Like

@Olivier

That’s some cool stuff in that Estlcam video! specially the auto angle detection.

Indeed!

@DougJoseph I can confirm that 3 axis probing works like a charm on SKR Pro using Z axis probe sensor.

As I do not have such touch plate I had to simulate it with my regular one.
The commands I provided earlier work just perfect using terminal, so they can be added at the beginning of the Gcode script.

Now, if only someone had ideas on calculating that angle deviation, I would really need to buy a new touchplate :smiley:

That’s great to hear.

Thank you. You are the man! One question though. You had mentioned:

The example you gave gets around that issue completely, right?