Z acting wacky

So just got back to working on the cnc again. I start my program engraving letters. at first all is good. Once it makes the ruff cuts it goes back over to finish out details. At that point the z axis raises up to high and start making these detail not even close to the surface. I have it set to move 3mm off the surface. and it sitting around 10mm above.

im using the latest marlin firmware on a ramps board. Any idea in why it would act this way?

Thanks in advance.

Can you provide more details: what CAD/CAM/post processor? Dimensions of the tool (I’m assuming a vcarve bit?), angle of cut, etc. Screen shot of your tool list. Is there a tool change involved for the finish cut?

I’ve had this (your situation) happen when I didn’t enter the geometry of my vcarve in the Estlcam tool list properly, and once when I didn’t enter the correct Z or Z offset for the finish cut after a tool change.

That usually happens when you do not have a Z axis rapid feedrate. Does it happen with my crown?

Ill try the crown again tonight.

Okay im back, So I did the crown and all was good. Went back and tried the carve with a V bit made a whole new file. Makes the rough cuts and all is good. Once it goes starts the fine detail. the Z makes a funny sound and moves higher then needed and floats above the work plan about 10mm.

Recently I updated to the latest marlin firmware. I using the the all thread for my Zaxis.

changed my

Default_axis_steps_per_unit to the following (100, 100, 4535.44, 100).

And I replaced the z stepper motor with one I ordered from here.

Attached is my screen shot. video is it doing the sound and all. (marker is in so you can hear the stepper and just test.)

Any ideas???

Does this happen only with a carve or does engraving also cause Z to go whacko? Did you run Ryan’s raw gcode or did you download the DXF and create your own?

Can you post the gcode (maybe your Estlcam project, too) that causes the problem? One of us can load it up and see if the problem lies within your machine/FW or your PP.

2 Likes

If my file works it is your gcode, or settings either can be diagnosed with your Gcode.

So Im back at it again. Still dealing with the same issue. I can get a rough cut then my Zaxis moves up up and away…lol
I re flashed with the newest firmware. Ran my test and it worked great but the Z was hardly moving. Changed the default axis due to my all thread im using from when I bought the kit. with the following
Default_axis_steps_per_unit to the following (200, 200, 4535.44, 200)

After doing that my my Z started acting crazy.

Ryan would you say 4535.44 can be the issue?

You’ll need to slow the Z way down for the allthread. Something like 4mm/s in Z, because the motor has to spin so much to move the Z at all.

What would you recommend and would this normalize the Z?

You can slow it down in CAM. Or else set the max Z spees in the firmware. You can edit it with a gcode command and then save it to eeprom if it works.

Ill be honest. Not a clue what to do. Code is all gibrish

Gcode is intimidating, but it is really much simpler than it looks. There aren’t that many useful codes, and they don’t usually have any side effects, so it gets very clear quickly. I made a short article in the docs about it. But let me give you the shortcut:

M203 Z4

That will set the max speed in Z to be 4mm/s. It is just temporary though, until you reset the controller. You can save it with M500.

This gcode can be sent from repetier host, or you can put it at the top of the test crown file.

If you have an LCD. There is a menu item for adjusting the feedrate and there is another for “save eeprom”. These are the same as sending these gcodes.

Here is the gcode tutorial:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/gcode/

Some of this may seem a bit archaic, but it is really powerful. You will have a lot of control with just a little effort.

Thanks Ill give it a shot. Worst case ill upgrade the All thread. I think that the main issue. firmware is set for the new T8 and im still useing the old Althread from 3-4 years ago.

Yeah, that’ll cause issues.