Z-Axis Depth Mismatch Issue

While cutting out a part, I realized my MPCNC is not cutting deep enough on the Z-axis by about 6x. For example, I put the depth of cut as 30mm in ESTLCAM with a 1mm cut on each pass. The result was 30 passes, but it only cut about 5mm deep total.

I’m using a mini-rambo board purchased from here, ESTLCAM, and threaded rod for the Z-axis. I tightened the pineapple coupler, but the issue persists.

Any suggestions for where to start first? I searched the forums and it seems like a lot of people encountered similar issues but there is a variety of root causes.

First, Command a 10mm movement, and confirm with a ruler it is moving 10mm. If that works, I would look at the Z speeds and look for high speed movements that might be causing it to skip.

Isn’t that the difference between threaded rod and 8mm screw?wrong firmware

3 Likes

I think that’s the problem, Tim.

Funny how I haven’t noticed this for months because I’ve only been doing engraving and just tried a part today!

I have a part piece on the machine now that I’d rather not waste if I can just adjust the depth of cut manually. Is it 6x on the nose?

Just checked the firmware and that’s it. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m really glad it was a PEBKAC issue instead of a physical one with the stepper. I’m cutting out the part now using 6x the depth and it’s working flawlessly.

Y’all are the best.

4 Likes

If you don’t want to tweak the configuration.h file and reflash the board, you could also fix this by adding a M92 line to the gcode that ESTLCAM uses at the start of each file.

Assuming you have 1.8 degree motors, you need 200 steps per rotation. Multiply by 16, assuming your stepper drivers are doing 16 micro-steps. Then divide by 1.25 for the pitch of M8 threaded rod gives 2560 steps per mm.

M92 Z2560

That should allow you to use normal units in Esltcam.

3 Likes

Then M500 to save the setting to eeprom.

2 Likes

That hurt my head this far before coffee

I changed the Z-depth via the touch screen panel ( SETTINGS >> MACHINE >> PARAMETER >> Steps Per MM ) It prompted me the first time to save to eeprom

Running a BigTreeTech TFT35_E3 V3.0

note: my Z-Depth on a 10mm travel only went 2.5mm so I changed the Z steps from 400 to 1600

Runs great now :slight_smile: