Z axis "relaxes" after a job, and it plunges into the work

I’m trying to troubleshoot something that I’ve been meaning to fix.
I’m using Vectric VCarve Desktop to generate my tool paths.

Recently After a 4 hour Job, my kid distracted me at the last second and my v-bit plunged into a really awesome piece :frowning: - I was wondering if there was a way to change the settings so that the z-axis (or any) doesnt loose its holding power after a cut.

Anyone have any suggestions

I’m running a rambo 4 board without endstops firmware, which is also configured for a laser.

Thanks

Make sure that Vetric or your gcode sender aren’t sending the disable steppers code at the end of the job. I don’t recall the code off the top of my head, but someone will be along shortly who knows it…

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

Check repetier host there is a setting to leave steppers on after a job is done. And if you are super paranoid like me drop a ‘M17’ at the end of the post processor to lock the steppers. Its good if you plan on doing a tool change anyways.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a check - thanks!

I’m not seeing the setting; is it possible you could share a Screen shot thanks

1 Like

https://docs.v1engineering.com/software/repetier-host/#repetier-host

Also look for M84 or M18 at the bottom of the gcode too. Those will turn off the motors. The firmware will still drop the steppers after 20 mins of inactivity, so don’t leave your machine unattended.

these are the last 2 lines in the gcode

G0   Z2.000 F960.0
G1 2.000 F500 ;goto safe z

Then it is probably the gcode sender disabling the motors. The link I posted shows where the setting at least used to be in RH. Is that what you used to send the gcode?

yeah I use RH. in the link do I change my travel and speed too to that mine is 4800 and 100

Whatever works for you. Those can be very machine dependent. As long as you are sure the numbers you chose are not going to skip steps, then I don’t see a good reason to move them to the exact same values.

1 Like

I noticed the same thing, I put a m0 at the end of the gcode to pause. That way whatever 3D printer good idea it is to turn things off is avoided.

Cheers!

1 Like

Im not in front of my laptop but I think its gonna look something like this…
Mind the red text it was something from google

1 Like

they are the default settings… so i wasnt sure…seems to work ok