10x5 Table with Swapable Surface

I have been working on this downdraft plasma table with wood top that can be swapped in. I don’t have space for two tables this size so it is the only option for my area.

I am curious what you all think and if you see any problems with my design. I can hopefully continue to develop it and release the files so anyone that wants to build a dual purpose table will have an easy jumping off point.

I can only post one picture since this is a new account. I will follow up with more though.

7 Likes

Here is with the wood surface. It slides onto an angle lip and sits about an inch above the plasma surface.

4 Likes

Welcome to the menagerie. I have always wanted a plasma table.but I dont think it will go in the basement well :cold_face: but that is the coolest thing I have seen yet

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement Tim! I am pretty lucky that I have a 20x30 garage, but even at that size it will be a bit of a squeeze!

2 Likes

Looks good, pretty big though.

Another issue I see is the side rails will not work with the LR, it needs to have an overhang and be no more than 4" thick.

1 Like

I did not notice I though the rail overhung the side I didn’t enlarge it.

Woops, I misunderestimated how the bottom bracket doodad fit. I think I know what to do about it. Right now I have 2x2x16ga steel as the rails, but I am going to see if the cost for 2x4x14ga is pretty comparable. I saw that they do have that in A513 steel last time I was in the store and i think the 2 inch overhang would be good.

This 2x2x1/4" aluminum angle is pretty resonable priced and has a very smooth finish. I am thinking this might be the way to go to get an overhang and also a better rolling surface than the steel square tubing.

I have also taken the height down to about 2.5 ft overall and narrowed it by 4 inches.

That looks awesome! Planning out my build now and sketching out a 4x8 plasma/cnc table.