A sign for mom

Happy birthday, mom!

18 Likes

Very nice! :+1:

Looks good :slight_smile:
How deep do you make the pocket for such a sign?

That is a 4mm pocket. This took two tool changes. First was the 3/8" workhorse, which I have pocketing 2mm depth per pass at 12mm/sec and 45% overlap. The 45 degree v-carve tool, then back to the 3/8ā€™s to ā€œpartā€ the whole sign.

1 Like

Thank you, this is very helpful. Iā€™m still trying to get a feeling for those numbers and speeds :slight_smile:

Youā€™re welcome. The carving tool, I think I had at 8mm/sec. This is fairly soft pine. Dial back the speed with harder materials.

Did you have lots of fuzz and post processing? I have been doing some pine signs but it doesnā€™t leave a good finish. Trying to figure out if itā€™s due to the wood or the v bit Iā€™m using. My feeds are also much faster which might be the issue.

But does she have a restaurant?

3 Likes

:turkey: :grinning:

1 Like

:do_not_litter: :guitar: :church:

I think weā€™re old. Really old. At least his dad wasnā€™t a contemporary (although I do know who he was, and how important he is).

2 Likes

A long observed tradition in my house. :grinning:

1 Like

@RobP, there was very little fuzz. With pine, itā€™s a mixed bag. Sometimes I have fuzz everywhere, and sometimes I am surprised with the clean cut. I think it might have to do with the moisture in the wood. I have a very fine sanding sponge, which is just enough to rip the fuzz out without digging into the wood or paint. The fuzzier jobs, I have to use a box knife or x-acto knife to clean the project. I think I could clean it better with the carving tool, if I could find the right ā€œdiameterā€ to use. Even though the tool comes to a point, EstlCAM requires a diameter. I found that if I use 0.1mm, it takes 30-45 minutes just to preview the job, and I get less fuzz. If I use 3/8" inch, it previews much faster, but produces more fuzz. I feel that this might be a shortcoming of EstlCAM, not understanding the geometry of the 45 degree carving bit, or maybe my misunderstanding of what it wants for a diameter of a tool that varies from point to depth.

I suspect the vast majority here havenā€™t a clue what youā€™re referencing (Iā€™m old too, so I do).

• Al
1 Like

ā€œall together now, in 4-part harmonyā€

Sadly Arlo has had a a series of strokes and is no longer able to perform. :frowning_face:

I expect most americans, regardless of age, are familiar with Woodyā€™s ā€œThis Land is Your Landā€.

They made a film out of Aliceā€™s Restaurant too.

1 Like

There has to be some 'benefiā€™t to age other than creaky bones. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sadly, I have not lived an exciting enough life to have ā€œAnd they all moved away from him on the group W benchā€ on my tombstoneā€¦

I kinda did, funny now.

Then? Not so much. :scream:

Have you rehabilitated yourself? :smiley:

1 Like

Funny thing is when I bought my house, left behind was a neat little child size park bench kinda deal, the centerā€™s a cast iron panel of circus animals that I really like. I need to redo the wood and when I do the MPCNC will be put to work carving ā€˜Group Wā€™ into the upper slat. :grinning:

2 Likes