Any point to an aluminum 611 plate?

I originally hand-cut my 611 plate from 1/2" mdf (since I had it on hand) and have since used my lowrider2 to cut a more precise 611 plate using the same 1/2" mdf and first pocketing it to 1/4". Since my current hand-cut plate is showing some warping due to my imprecise cuts/screw hole placement I’m wondering if it would be worthwhile to cut the 611 plate from 1/8" (or thicker) aluminum for better rigidity.

I’m already planning on enlarging my table to support full 4’ x 8’ sheets so I’ll be using that opportunity to replace the 611 with my machine cut version, so seems smart to consider this now.

Any thoughts?

It would look cool. I’m not sure 1/8" Al would be better than 1/2" plywood or mdf.

1 Like

I’d go quarter inch al if you go that route.

1 Like

[attachment file=93826]

¼" for the Lowrider2 611 plate works perfectly.

3 Likes

NOICE!

I went 1/4 in to start out with, had a bridgeport mill at my dispostal, and I’m a big fan. It looks nice, and IMO it doesn’t hurt to add rigidity wherever you can. Especially since the weight difference is so little.

I did the same 6mm aluminum works a treat very little weight difference heaps more rigidity looks cool as well.

cheers

i use 1/8 with no problems. even pocket screw heads nearly flush. can have less stick out on endmill the thinner u go.

1 Like

Good Day Everyone, I am not to sure where to post my question so ill post it here hopefully it get read.
Ok I was thinking since Autodesk FUSION 360 has free GENERATIVE DESIGN until dec 31 2019. I tried using it to optimise the 611 and Y plates. well I failed since I know nothing about 3d modelling and engineering . but I would love if someone can use the generative design feature to convert the 611 and Y plates into an optimised organic 3d model so persons like me who does not have access to power tools ( but I have an ENDER 3 3d printer) I would like to print a optimise version of the plates
. I have attached my fail attempts after 6 hours trying :frowning:

Hopefully @Ryan or @Jeff can guide me

You can convert the dxfs to pdf and print them full size, then paste them to some plywood and manually cut them out. Printed plates aren’t going to work very well.

1 Like

Barry has my vote. This is a flat part designed as such. Generative design won’t help here, other than make it more complex to cut by hand. Cut it by hand with any means possible (if you are building the CNC you have a router), then cut a better one when it is fully assembled.

2 Likes