Are you a google sheets / excel guru?

Refreshing doesn’t work, at least locally.

I will do some more work on this in a bit.

Ok. I will add the units tonight, in about 2 hrs. I can merge it with your work anytime. You can push to that branch all you want.

When you have time read this, not until then.

I was thinking about that. just add a button for it and then a new set of variables dividing all the old ones by 25.4? Or you have to add a second set of offsets in inches?

Okay…so everything works. Still need to add a couple things. BUT…I have no idea what happened. The equations in “function from working()” drive the whole thing. I can’t seem to get rid of the other ones though without things breaking.

OK. I’m almost there. I can just set the multiplier (1 or 1/25.4) in the get_offsets function, and multiply every offset by that factor. The math should still work out, because everything is either in mm or inches then. There aren’t any area calculations, right?

I also needed to change all the labels (mm) to inches (inches), but I have that working too.

There were some references to those other functions in some of the readonly values… Actually, since these are all readonly, I might take a minute and clean the crap out of those, and just turn them back into spans…

I also added some quick math to round inches to 0.25inches. And then when converting back to metric, it will round again. But the step is still giving me trouble. Something just isn’t right with a page refresh. It is reverting the units, but not the xyz values.

The step is also more aggressive than I thought. In sandify, it will jump by that much with the arrows, but still let you choose a non-step number if you type it in. This is putting a big red box around it when you do that, and there is a tooltip message.

WDYT of this? This is actually much more manageable in the md.

2 Likes

Where I’m at:

What that page looks like (above the script):

Whenever you want, I can put the top radio buttons back in the table too. I just think we need to watch out for the length of the text, so it doesn’t awkwardly wrap.

I’ll push this in a few minutes.

Just want to say I like the direction this is heading. I still havent gotten around to getting the software for rendering mkdocs locally for myself.

Having only one set of independent variables really simplifies the interface when constrained to the documentation style. Guess and check is still very practical, especially since the dimensions have a linear 1:1 relationship, so the guesses converge very fast.

Props to Jeff for figuring out the docs integration. Having it included within the official docs is going to be really slick.

3 Likes

Thanks. Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Thanks for such a clean script. Thanks for using jquery. I think it’s perfect for this, and I forgot how simple it ends up being for problems like these.

I don’t know what environment you use, but I use virtualenv to keep the python software packages from affecting the rest of my computer. I’m spitballing here, but the commands are basically:

virtualenv -p python3 venv
./venv/bin/acrivate
pip install -r requirements.txt
mkdocs serve

I use bash in Linux, but there are a lot of windows solutions to do this too. WSL, Mobixterm, cygwin, I think Ryan uses the git terminal of his windows git app. You probably have something you like already. I am probably missing a more windows centric method to run python3.

1 Like

Just about to fetch/pull and dig in. Can’t wait, looks great!

I use sourcetree for all my windows git stuff, and vscode. You both know I need a GUI to do anything so even using the terminal to hit “mkdocs serve” makes me nervous.

Elegant, and I really really appreciate all the comments.

Swapping the unit labels even…slick! I will double check the values against my spreadsheet (or the other way around). Once I add the actual burly values I guess I need to finish up the other tool mounts, measure and add them. Then push this and see if we have any issues.

You guys, this looks great and adds a lot to this project. I appreciate you both very much, literally could not do it without you.

1 Like

Good work you’re all doing, way over my head. I’m very good with formulas in Google Sheets and Excel, but terrible with scripts and coding. I have a handful of great excel/google sheets that I’ve always wanted to be able to share with my co-workers in a way then can easily use.

If you ever have time, check out Open As App. May not fit the bill for this application I understand, but worth a look. It takes in google sheets or excel sheets as you already have them. You can then design the way you want the inputs and outputs to look, even add diagrams and all sorts of other stuff. All responsive per device resolution. Pretty slick really. Can use as webpage, or iPhone/Android native app. And if you have the excel file hosted, any changes will be pushed out automatticaly. We currently use as Evalution, so it’s free, just have to wait a few seconds at the start of the app.

I learn so much from these dudes. I love it. I didn’t think I could do this either when Jamie posted it. Spent a little time and now I can even add to it, not just edit it.

I did see that and seriously considered it. These guys came through just in time though! Thanks for the suggestion.

ooppps, old post was resurrected by someone. Then I replied, /slapmyface