Dragon's Lair Arcade Game!

I’ve never used my bandsaw for aluminum. I cut that on the miter saw, using the same blade I use for wood, works fine.

The bandsaw is a cool tool to have though. One of the most used tools in my shop. I turn to it more often than the tablesaw, and about as often as the miter saw. I would never have realized how handy it is if I hadn’t found it on craigslist at a price I couldn’t pass up.

It wasn’t on my must have tool radar.

bandsaw boxes are a lot of fun to make…

It would feel pretty unsafe having my hands that close to a wood blade cutting a block of aluminum. I have an abrasive blade but you can only use those for ferrous metals. I guess I could buy a metal blade but they are $$$.

Edit: I do my bandsaw boxes on the table saw. You just need to leave a small amount of material and finish up with a pullsaw.

You’re in Colorado, right? You must have stolen it from under my nose. What kind is it?

The other issue with using a wood bandsaw on metal is the blade moves too fast. Some saws have a dual-speed setup, but I’ve got a 9" benchtop cheapie. The aluminum gets hot from friction and expands which can pinch the blade. So my rule is not to try anything too big. Cutting a piece of angle or square tubing to length is okay, but I wouldn’t try cutting out a complex shape.

Good point… I thought the longer blade would help with heat but hadn’t considered the material I was cutting expanding. Fortunately the saw I have my eye on has a half speed setting.

Quite possibly! :grin: I bought it in Denver area about 2 years ago. For a couple of years I spent 10 days each month working in Centennial area.

It’s a vintage 12" Craftsman model from the early 60’s I think. I got the bandsaw and a drill press for $50 each. They are both in pristine condition.

1 Like

I agree with you there. I’m not comfortable cutting anything small on the miter saw. The bandsaw is much better tool for that.

Well… It stands on it’s own!

Only a few more pieces to install and I can start painting and adding the laser disc player and PCB, marquee, etc. I’m hoping to be playing this sucker by the weekend! haha

13 Likes

Your cabinet is coming along nicely. Looks really good.

Mine’s a 14" Rockwall from around the 50’s. I use mine for a lot of tasks. The biggest thing I use it for is resawing lumber. It has just enough HP to slice through a 5"-6" slab. I was trying to resaw maple a few weeks ago. The 5" slab went OK. The 6" slab did not go well. The linked-belt going from the motor to the lower pulley kept slipping and making an awful smell.

To get back on topic…

I started pricing out the hardware to build a RetroPi cabinet about a year ago. The problem is, I’m not sure where I’d put it. The kids and I had gotten in to playing the older games on the TV. What I decided I’m going to (eventually) do is build a console with the controls and the raspberry Pi on it that we can set on the coffee table. Then I’ll run the HDMI cable from it to the TV in the living room.

2 Likes

yeah, what you need is either something like this bartop model or something like this cocktail table. I’m seriously leaning towards making a cocktail table in the future if I can convince my wife to let me set it up as an end table in the living room. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until the large workshop is built and build a man-cave.

1 Like

I meant something more like this, just a bit larger so you’re not right next to each other.

The Pi would be mounted in the console so that you just run the hdmi to the TV

6 Likes

I have been considering something similar. My “TV hole” was built specifically for a big rear projection TV. I have an LCD in it now, something like a 45". And it hangs from the back wall. A little cabinet underneath with a builtin arcade top and an hdmi out the back might be pretty useful. Maybe not as nice as a whole cabinet, but…

@niget2002 @jeffeb3 X-Arcade! That’s a solution, and there are plans to ‘Roll Your Own’ so to speak. If you have a hard time finding them, let me know, I will pass you the ones I have.

ALSO!!! And I was chomping at the bit to get this reply in LOL

Enter… The Pedestal!

There are 2 variations of it. One WITH the control panel on top, and one that you just put your own control panel on. Like this!

The bartops are a nice way if you don’t have the space of course, but I do like the pedestal because you could throw some casters on it and roll it into a corner when you’re done playing. Just a couple of thoughts for those wanting to build an arcade :slight_smile:

In my mind’s eye, I’m seeing a flip-top. maybe with a height adjust so that the coffee table becomes the arcade control.

1 Like

Woops… Double Post. I’ll take advantage to upload one of my bartop dxf’s!

SAE Version.zip (402.0 KB)

1 Like

Brilliant!!

My “TV Hole”

But of course the arcade side will need cup holders…

HAHA YEP!

Jeffe, THIS is why you need that pedestal! That TV is SCREAMING 4 player pedastal setup!!