Has anyone made a dust shoe for 2.5" hose?

Hello all,

I’ve been really happy with my lowrider, but I’d really like to hook it up to my 2 1/2" dust collection system. Has anyone made or seen a vac shoe that accommodates this? I think I can make my 611 plate a little longer in the Y direction and fabri-cobble something together, but if there were a 3d printable model of a shoe that would be perhaps a little wider at the bottom and flare out to a round 2.4" fitting clearing the X rail that would be awesome. I don’t find anything out there, but I thought I’d check here.

Here’s a pic of my setup and another closer shot of the second 611 plate (cut on my awesome lowrider no less, unlike the initial one on the table saw) I made with the stock shoe.

If my fusion-foo wasn’t so weak I’d draw up my own, but at this point I’m planning on leaning on my wood shop skills. I have a very light hose suspended from the ceiling that doesn’t impede movement, and the suction isn’t so strong that I’ll get into a suck-down situation as I can mitigate that a couple of ways.

Thoughts on this?

2 Likes

That dust port I made was actually pretty complicated, If you make something it would be sort of an advanced project. I think Andrew has made some sort of different dust shoe, might just be a skirt, for his lowrider maybe it could help.

Just to get you going I suggest an adapter for now, but it lets you have a nice project to keep working on on the side.

1 Like

Which Andrew is this? There are quite a few Andrews on here.

I’m also leaning towards fabricating something at this point, but I’ll check with Andrew if you can point me his way.

prototyping isn’t pretty, but this will work for a starting point once I attach it properly and add a small skirt.

2 Likes

I checked his is just a skirt.

You really need to careful with a hose of that size hanging off that far. On a full sized build I see no way that will not cause accuracy issues, unless you have a fairly elaborate hose holding system above it. I see it tilting the end mill on the Y axis extremes.

1 Like

Ya I was concerned about it, too–my table is only 76" so with that light hose mounted at the midpoint it was fine. If it starts torquing, etc I’ll put a suspension or swing system on it.’’

I’m going to route some form of this plate tonight that is extended and clean up the file to see what you think. I can use the existing vac cover with a half-circle cut in it similar to the one I drilled out in the last photo, and I’ll see if I can modify your print to have the cutout and a lip.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXV6FJI8LU

Swing arm is easy.

1 Like

nice setup!

1 Like

ok the new plate is only about 1 1/4" longer than the stock one and I can use the stock vacuum cover, just with a bigger cutout. Lemme get this hooked up this weekend and see how it does.

Thanks for the input on the twisting problem, etc…in my small shop dust collection is sort of an obsession, so I realize I am probably putting more effort into this than is warranted.

1 Like

update: it works well even without a skirt on it. I did switch to blind nuts and 3/4" screws so that messing with it would be easier.

It is out of level a bit, but with the hose side being too high and it turns out that my side plates are a little askew. I cut them with the manual router template on thingiverse, so a near term task will be to cut some out on the lowrider and swap.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Im working on similar project. Bolting a Craftsman 1-3/4hp router with built in LED lights. Along with a 2.5" dust collection port. This all bolts to Ryans existing base plate. Wrapping up my build this week.

2 Likes

That’s impressive–is the weight on the router manageable?

The 2.5" dust port was a big improvement for me–some chips still escape, but the actual dust isn’t a problem at all. If you are willing to share that dust port I’d love to try it out.

1 Like

test fitted it this morning. I made it a hair to tall. Needs to fit under the tubing. This helps keep the weight centered. Ill be happy to share once I know it bolts up great.

1 Like

Bolts up nicely. Cant fully test it till I get the rest of my machine together.

1 Like

that looks great. What are you printing that on? It almost looks milled it’s so smooth in the picture.

1 Like

Thank you. All the parts are printed on my CR10. Have it dialed in pretty good. 0.2 layers.

1 Like

You can find the parts here. They fit great. Havent had the chance to fire up the CNC yet. Wrapping a few things up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3716633

3 Likes

thanks Chad–I’m downloaded it and am going to give it a try.

Just FYI when I imported into Cura I had to scale it up about 4x to get to a proper size. Are you seeing it size correctly?

1 Like

I always forget to scale it up. Designed in inches. Scale by 2450% in cura

1 Like

Hey Chadd I tried this out tonight on a quick job and I was wondering if you had thought about making the front (outside of the bottom plate) transition smoother. The cutout on the front is almost as drastic as the one on the back (to clear the X pipe) and that results in a much smaller square port. Air flow is restricted to some degree and while I can see that when you use the standard bottom plate you need to have the inlet drop back towards the middle to mate with the edge of the plate I was thinking you could even tilt the angle of the port so that the front side was a straight shot from the edge of the plate. This would also direct the air more at an angle to draw from the center of the plate where the action is. My straight tube hilljack setup really pulls against the skirt on my extended plate so this is a problem I have as well.

Just thinking out loud here. Nice piece in any case.

1 Like