LowRider build thread- location: Kansas

Hello all!

A CNC machine has been something I’ve been dreaming about for quite a few years now, and turns out so has one of my brothers. Then my brother and I started seriously looking into building/buying our own CNC’s mid 2018, and we both ended up going for the CNC’s designed by Ryan here on V1Engineering (obviously). Not only is the price much better than other machines out there, as you all should know, but I personally liked the customization and expansion abilities. While my brother opted for the MPCNC, I wanted something more like the LowRider V2 as I am more looking at doing full 4’x8’ sheet cutting or other larger format CNC-ing. And thus begins the journey.

1" (.065 wall) SS Tubes came in a week ago, so I could finally have my brother print the 25.4mm lowRider parts. So while I await for those to finish printing and for him to come visit next month, I’m in the process of designing the table and cutting out the flat parts. Was looking around at other builds to see if anything was similar to what I had already thought up in my head, and found JJWHarris’s build (https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/new-lowrider-2-build/). The table top is pretty similar to what I was thinking, so I’ve modeled mine in similar fashion.

[attachment file=“102631”]
[attachment file=“102632”]

I used calculation sheet thing (https://jscalc.io/calc/Ea1pVUNBCQdV9cPF) and designed the table to have the “outside” to fit the minimum table size of 111in X 56in, with the “inside” able to fit a full 4’x8’ sheet. Using all 2X3’s. Still working on how I want to do the legs. but looks like doing 6 legs helps with stability/rigidity.
Any design flaws or possible helpful must-haves?

Also, is the spoil board the piece of MDF that will be screwed onto the “torson table” or is the spoil board going to sit on top of that piece of MDF?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Awesome!

Both of you having different sizes might really come in handy for some cool trades.

Table looks good, I like that setup. I think I will do something similar if I ever get to the plasma build.

2 Likes

Spoil board sits on top of the table. It’s the sacrificial part so you don’t ruin the table. Generally unless someone really screws up, you never cut into your torsion box top.

1 Like

Awesome, thats really the info I was looking for. I wasnt sure if the first layer of mdf was part of the torson table or could be spoil board.

Well sweet! I’ll keep plugging away at my table design and keep an eye out for any helpful mods before I pull the trigger as I play the waiting game for 3D parts.

I’ve been informed that all the 3D parts have been printed (woot), and I’ll order the LowRider kit once it’s available as it seems to have just sold out. I waited to order, as I really dont have anything built. but might as well pull the trigger now that things are coming together.

[attachment file=“lowrider table end view final.JPG”]

I’ve modified my table design a bit. Lowered the table surface, so that the torsion table top is flush with the table “rails” the lowrider will ride on. And then the spoil board will sit on top of the torson table top.

Working on completing designs to make the entire table “flip up” so it takes up less space for storage. Currently have it setup to be hinged in the center(ish) so that it rotates. Hopefully, the space it takes up when flipped will be around 2’ wide (TBT) and the 111in (length of the table). will likely integrate some storage compartments below the table since it’s going to have some platforming.

[attachment file=“table rollers.JPG”]

Trying to figure out how to add stabilizing legs that fold up or something to stabilize the table when down, but also that tuck away when flipped…might just go the card table route, but it’s just not as cool…

What is your plan to use for the rails? I’ve seen suggestions for and against the unistruts. As someone that has worked with LVLs, I’m not sure they will definitely be better. They are pretty straight, but in comparison to regular lumber. They have their own little imperfections.

I was originally looking at doing uni strut myself, however your correct, they have imperfections. pretty sure this is why Ryan’s original design is to have the gantry run on top of the MDF as you’ll then have a smooth surface and such. My plan now is to simply rip down a 2x4 side so that one side will be smooth / top from my cut. cheaper, and effective. At some point in the future I’m planning on replacing the 2x4 rails with 1/4" (of some sort of wood board) and a 3/4"x4" PVC board so that my gantry doesnt rub grooves into the original 2x4 “rails”.

So then, update time:

[attachment file=“20190614_185728.jpg”]
[attachment file=103566]

Received my LowRider electronics, bolts, nuts, ect. from Ryan’s LowRider kit. Also purchased the full size screen. Dang he ships fast, got it within 3 days of purchasing. Now really all I’m waiting on is the 3D printed parts and me to do the table build. speaking of…

[attachment file=103568]

Purchased a majority of the wood I’ll be needing, as well as misc parts for assembly. The plan is to make some sort of flip/rotating table for ease of storage (as I’ll be operating in my garage, and it’d be nice to be able to park cars when not in use). It’ll look something like this:

[attachment file=“06b4e58a68bce6f3a461f25fe1088d88–woodworking-bench-woodworking-shop.jpg”]

I know I’ve got a long way to go, but really once I have all the parts I can really get cracking!

Oh, Also have the flat parts all cut out. Had to cut out, sand, drill by hand. but if they dont work perfectly (they should) I can always CNC some once I get everything built and running.

[attachment file=“20190602_204403.jpg”]

More content to come! it’s getting there and I’m excited to see saw dust fly!

06b4e58a68bce6f3a461f25fe1088d88-woodworking-bench-woodworking-shop.jpg

3 Likes

Cool idea on the table. I hope you can make it work out as space saving are always worth it.

It all comes together pretty fast and easy which is another testament to how good the design is. Best of luck.

2 Likes

If you can make it fold so that all the wheels are at the bottom and leave a little angle you might get away with leaving it all on there.

Hmmm, might be a cool project to try out if I ever go back to a full sized table.

1 Like

Folding table is neat, but that picture looks unforgiving when folded, like it’s easy to tip over. Perhaps the bottom plank with wheels could be a bit off center so the weight is closer to its center when stowed? The table top could be off-center slightly too, so that it’s also centered above the wheels when deployed.

It would mess up the feng shui though.

2 Likes

You better get that table built so you’ll be ready when I bring the 3D printed parts.

1 Like

Haha, I’m getting there!

Actually started building last night. I dont have the MDF Sheet yet, but I did have a small piece so I can get the correct spacing.

[attachment file=103720]

But the Frame is square and the correct size (which is always good). Just need to add the additional bracing as per my 3D drawings as well as get the base built. And add the MDF sheet, so should have the table complete by this weekend time permitting.

Update:

Table is, more or less, complete! I’m sure I’ll have some fiddling to do once I get the LowRider attached, BUT for now I can sit back and take a breather until my 3D parts are hand delivered (Just waiting on you bro! haha). Honestly though, not in a rush.

[attachment file=104211]

[attachment file=104213]

Ya thats basically what I had to do. centered the pin of the hinge to the center of the table so that it folds evenly. It did offset the lets, but honestly it’s hardly noticeable.

[attachment file=104212]

And My garage is a mess, but I have a few other projects I’ve been recently tasked with, so had to stuff everything in to make it fit. However the table fits in it’s designated spot. sticks out a bit further than I expected, but it’s all good.

[attachment file=104214]

2 Likes

Hi Cameron,

I am planning on building my table for my lowrider this weekend. I wanted something that I could stow away in a small footprint and I am really liking your design. I have a couple of questions regarding your design.

• How wide did you end up making the feet; did you go for 2' or a bit longer?
  • Did you come up with any thoughts on the stabilizing feet?
  • Have you noticed any issues or anything you think would benefit from a modification?
  1. The span of the feet is just under 2ft. I took a 8ft 2x4 and cut it in half, then those 2 boards in half to get 4 almost 2ft long boards. the 2ft span works pretty well actually. doesnt feel like it wants to tip over.
  2. I havnt made anything to stabilize the table yet, thats a current working design.
  3. design wise I'm really liking it. I dont fully know if I have any required modifications until I can build the gantry (coming July 21st or so). but so far it fits where I designed it too, and rotates freely with very little effort. I also have yet to add the "Torson table top" MDF, so I'm expecting once I add that it will stiffen up the entire table.
Recommendations: I HIGHLY recommend using the all metal casters as they dont roll as freely as regular casters. normally this would be annoying, but because I want to be able to flip the table, this is actually really helpful and works as a built in brake.

Also make sure you square up, level, and brace the rolling support legs.

Overall it functions as designed currently. I may have to lengthen the rolling support legs (4x4’s) by a few inches, but again I really wont know until I get that gantry up.

Hopefully that helps.

Alrighty, update time!

Table is more or less complete, minus any add-ons that will come once gantry is assembled in the coming weeks. I did have to add an additional support from the “foot” to the center 4x4 due to the weight of the table once the MDF was attached, but that was a simple fix.

[attachment file=106151]
[attachment file=106152]
[attachment file=106153]

Table rotates, rolls, and has 4 retractable legs for additional support when tabled. I was having trouble coming up with a design for the legs that would allow them to fold under the table easily and still be stable. So after me spending a few weeks thinking and attempting some of my ideas, my wife sat with me one night for 5 mins and solved all my issues with velcro…

[attachment file=106154]
[attachment file=106155]

So table works great, rolls well after some adjustments and fits in it’s designated location in the garage.

Things I will likely be adding once the lowrider is up and running:

1. Will look into a lowrider bracket to secure the gantry for flip-up storage
  2. Table will likely not be sitting at 90 degrees when folded up, this has an easy fix of adding stoppers on the "feet". But it will be a build in place design once I get the gantry assembled and installed.
  3. will add built in table clamps to hold entire sheets to the table. but not worried about that until dust starts flying
  4. built-in storage
  5. built-in / attached vacuum

1 Like

Final update before I start making some man glitter!

Everything’s assembled, wired, tested and rolling! Table “flips” (still looking for a better term) with the gantry installed, so that’s a success.

[attachment file=107468]
[attachment file=107469]
[attachment file=107470]

I plan on somehow getting power attached and rigged up beneath the table, but for now I’ll just manage with it on the floor.

Been drawing some test crowns with mostly success. still trying to sync settings in eastlecam with the LowRider, but that’ll come as I get more familiar. But ready and excited for some cutting once I get things dialed in!

[attachment file=107471]

Any suggestions on why the start/stop for the outline and major interiors isnt quite lining up? ends up the same way on all my prints no matter what I do with the pen mount…

1 Like

Final update before I start making some man glitter!

Everything’s assembled, wired, tested and rolling! Table “flips” (still looking for a better term) with the gantry installed, so that’s a success.

[attachment file=107474]
[attachment file=107475]

[attachment file=107477]

I plan on somehow getting power attached and rigged up beneath the table, but for now I’ll just manage with it on the floor.

Been drawing some test crowns with mostly success. still trying to sync settings in eastlecam with the LowRider, but that’ll come as I get more familiar. But ready and excited for some cutting once I get things dialed in!

[attachment file=107476]

Any suggestions on why the start/stop for the outline and major interiors isnt quite lining up? ends up the same way on all my prints no matter what I do with the pen mount…

1 Like

Use a ball point pen and no more than 0.5mm pressure. 99% of the time it is just waaaaay too much pressure deflecting things.

1 Like

Will do! Thanks Ryan. And the ease of assembling the machine and quality is amazing btw!

I had assumed that was the case, with either the sharpie was wiggling on the arcs or something like that. but good to hear that’s likely the case. I’ll jump on it this week and see if I can run it and maybe even make some dust!