Matticustard's Musings (continued) - Virtual Pinball Machines!

Hi all, it’s been a while since I had anything really cool to post, but I think this one makes the cut.

I apologize, I originally posted this to my old compilation thread before I saw the message about making individual threads for each project. I went ahead and deleted that post to make a new one. So if anyone got a notification for the old thread, my bad! Thanks for understanding.

Virtual Pinball Machines!

I recently constructed two virtual pinball machines, one for myself, one for my folks. Both are constructed in the “Williams widebody” style, although I made some adjustments to the backglass due to the monitors and speakers I chose.

I’ve got about 25 different tables (games) loaded onto them at the moment. Most of the time so far has been invested in getting everything built, so some tweaking is still required with perspective, getting all of the proper launcher animations selected, and adding more tables. That said, everything is already looking really good and functioning well.

I’m going to mill a new lockdown bar (palm/wrist rest) out of black HDPE once it arrives. It will be a nicer finish, thinner profile, and more capable of putting up with abuse than the temporary painted MDF lockdown bar.

Due to the size of this project, the majority of the parts were done on my LowRider. However, I did use my laser cutter for the acrylic windows on the backglass and for the backing material on the fully assembled project.

Some early shots…

And fully assembled with decals… (the other machine has already been relocated to its destination)

Cabinet Hardware

Computer Hardware

Cabinet Decals

The first link below is for the standard decals. I ordered them through the custom sizing page to fit the widebody style cabinet.

Software (the easy way)

• Baller Installer (by NailBuster)
    – Visual Pinball X (VPX) v10.6.1
    – VPinMAME 0.33b (sambuild)
    – PinUP Player v1.4.6
    – PinUP Popper FrontEnd v1.4.6
    – DMDExt (freezy) v1.8.2 (32 bit)
    – FlexDMD-B2S-PuP-PuPSSF
    – Future Pinball w/BAM
    – TerryReds PinEvent FP system
    – Two original tables: ScottyWics “Leprechaun King” and TerryRed’s “Retro Flair BAM Edition”

I hope you find this project as cool as I do!

13 Likes

Those look like a good time! Seriously quality work, looks like you had fun making them.

2 Likes

I had no idea that the pinball simulators had got to this point. Those photos look like the real thing!

4 Likes