Shop Updates (originally Decided to move)

The answer is a definitive NO. Nor if they were able to use Maps, would they be able to understand the distance in miles as no one can read a map anymore.

I’ve been leery to say anything, but I think I can give a small update.

We finally have a buyer for our house. The option period ended last night and they agreed to take cash in lieu of us trying to fix anything.

As long as they get final approval on their loan (they’re already pre-approved), then we should be moving mid-June.

High five!

My previous post said mid-June…

I just realized that we’ll be moving week after next. While numerically, that might be mid-June, it sure does feel a lot sooner all of a sudden.

Most of my shop/garage is packed up at this point. I still need to go through my scrap bucket and figure out what I really want to take vs throw away. The storage shed and most of the garage was already in big plastic buckets.

I need to go buy some more ratchet straps and some tarps for holding everything down during the move.

My neighbor is letting me borrow his 16’ tandem trailer since I wasn’t able to buy one. My BIL and his father both drive 26’ cargo trucks with lift gates for a living. I should have access to one of them for most of the 4 days we have scheduled to move, and I should have access to both of them on at least Saturday. I really don’t think it will take all 4 days to move, but I like to over plan.

Tomorrow will be spent calling services and getting them either moved or cancelled. Most of our service providers don’t offer service at the new house.

We still have a lot of stuff inside the house to pack, but my wife is a teacher and she’s out for the summer. She’s one of those types that will put her headphones in and start on a project and just keep going and going and going.

Throw it away! I actually miss moving a little. When I moved a bunch in college and right after, I liked how cathartic it was to be forced to go through everything and throw stuff away. I am amazed at how much crap collects in the house, but outside of my knowledge…

How exciting though. This is a fun time. Great time of year to do it too.

I’ve been throwing out 1 trashcan of ‘stuff’ each week for the last month. I’m definitely not moving everything.

“Throw it away”, I’m not sure I really know what that means… :slight_smile: I was gradually bringing a box or two home from my storage unit each week I was down at the coast. I’d open it, do some sorting and consolidation and typically end up with one or two boxes from every three I brought home. The week before my last surgery I opened one that had a few electronic gizmos I recognized from the late 80s or early 90s (probably from my move from a rental in Hillsboro, OR to my first purchased home in the same city) and another sealed box. Opening the sealed box revealed a bunch of unopened bills dating from 1983, gently packaged to deal with when I moved from Newberg, OR to Lebanon, OR in that year. I wonder if they ever got paid?

T-3 days until we start moving.

Had the final walk through yesterday. While we were there, the current home owner showed up to finish some clean up so I got to talk to him. He showed me where he has a conduit running between the garage and the shop for running a network cable. He just never pulled one through.

He also said that he wasn’t planning on taking the riding lawn mower that was there. He said the battery is shot on it so he has to jump it every time he mows, but it will keep me from having to buy a new one right away.

Handy!

So if I am keeping score correctly that is a win, win!

wow, that looks cool!

It’s always fun to see other houses and styles and prices in other countries :slight_smile:

To me that seems like a steal from where i live and how much houses here are haha. My house was about the same price but only got 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 car garage (that houses the laundry too) and about 12% of the land you got haha. Oh, and no pool…

I’m still amazed at the price of houses in Cali. I’ve seen 1 bedroom apartments go for as much as my 4000sqft house on 3 acres. There is nothing in Cali that’s worth that kind of hassle.

Preach!

1 Like

Yes. I think we’re up to +1 on the oh shit/win category for this move now. We were definitely down to a -4 at one point.

I keep telling myself… the shop will be worth it, the shop will be worth it…

Alright guys. It’s been a bit since the last update.

We are moved in to the new house. We did 90% of the move in one trip. We had access to two 26’ trucks, my truck with a 16’ tandem trailer, my uncle’s truck with his enclosed trailer, and 2 smaller vehicles.

My poor half ton was riding dirty with all the weight in the bed plus the trailer. Luckily we were only move 16 miles, so I never went above 50.

I started packing the bed of the truck at 7 am and we finished unloading everything but the bed of my truck at 8:30 pm.

Today we had internet installed. I paid the installer $75 to run a cat-5e from the switch in the garage out to the switch in the shop. Nice high-quality shielded cable. I think it was money well spent.

I found out that I’m only 2 houses away from the fixed wireless connect point. I also found out that the connect point is connected to their fiber backbone, so I should never see slow speeds due to over-subscribed lines. So far my unifi router is telling me it’s averaging around 20-30mb with spikes to 80mb. I’m paying for 50.

It’s nice and quiet out here. The neighbors have two kids about my kids’ ages. I got home from work yesterday and my daughter came running up to tell me about the crawdad hunting they did all day.

The previous owner left us a trampoline and his riding mower. I’ll use the riding mower until the zero turn I want goes on sale again. Then I’ll upgrade. Maybe keep both so that I can have help mowing this lot :slight_smile:

I have a few shop pictures from before I filled it up with crap and one for right after the move.

2 Likes

How awesome. Crawdad hunting is the best. Sorry you’re not going to be able to relax for a while, but it will be well worth it.

1 Like

Looks amazing in that shop! I am sure the honey do list is huge but soon enough you will get to enjoy it!

1 Like

Awesome house and I’m so stunned by how cheap that is…

I just moved to a new house last week too. Unfortunately I’m poor so I can only afford to rent it, but it’s pretty big for Shanghai, with a nice little garden and generally more space despite a smaller garage.

Just to compare the prices, here in Shanghai the new home would sell for around 1.5 Million USD… for around 250 square meters of habitable space and about 400 square meter of garden. That’s considered like a huge surface here.

I still have to organize all my stuff, that will take a while…

2 Likes

I’ve gotten to spend a little time in the shop so far. I spent Saturday and Sunday morning out there trying to organize a little. I have a few temporary shelves put up and started to fill them.

Last night I spent some time getting the lawn tractor running that the previous owner left behind. All it needed was a new battery. I then mowed part of the lot to try it out.

Heh, one of my dad’s neighbors dropped a riding lawnmower off at his house. Told him he could keep it and had already purchased a new one. Said this one doesn’t cut grass for crap! Dad looked it over, flipped the blades over and it’s been cutting one of my cousin’s yards ever since!