What would you want to see in a new lowrider build?

Damn, that looks so cool!

I’m part way into a LR2 plasma cutter build (already have a LR2 router) but think I’m gonna have to convert to LR3 now. I haven’t started the table yet but have all my motors, drivers etc and have printed my LR2 parts bit I’m gonna have to keep these as spares and get some more filament to start printing!!

I think that is the idea. It should be stiff enough (at least near the sides) to cut its own trusses and it can bootstrap itself that way.

2 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

Good idea, just add a chalk holder and you can have yourself some driveway art.

2 Likes

Looks awesome Ryan! What sort of gains in performance are you seeing? Looks a lot more rigid. Are there any issues with the linear rails jamming if one side goes up before the other?

1 Like

I guess that photo has sealed the fate of my LR2! Lucky for it I have to go away for four or five months, and It will take well into the new year till I work out how to cut the bits for the (I don’t want to say it out loud in case the LR2 is listening!)

It does look really, really nice!

1 Like

Nope! I can decouple the Z axis and control each side independently, and did some of just exactly that.

2 Likes

Does one side actually rise on the table and the other on a rail or is that just showing two options for y axis?

1 Like

Yea, it just runs on the table.

4 Likes

Sorry I have been busy trying to take some pretty pictures of the instruction build.

7 Likes

Awesome! I like that the lead screws for the Z are ‘shielded’ from saw dust.

1 Like

Looks gorgeous. Can’t wait for the stl’s to come out so I can get started printing. I was so close to building the current version but this looks like its worth waiting for. Hopefully can get all the parts here in NZ.

Keep up the great work.

3 Likes

Hey Jacob, I’m also in NZ and planning on a LR3 now that I’ve seen these pics. Will keep in touch if trying to source parts.

3 Likes
  1. Looks like the wait will be short.
  2. It is worth it.

Some things are different from when this project first began, some of the beta parts are different from the parts that will be actually released. I have mixed feelings about reprinting some of the release parts. Some are improvements, some are just a little different, and some just simplify the bill of materials (But I’ve already got the parts.)

I get the feeling that a lot of PLA suppliers are going to be running short on inventory real soon now.

3 Likes

Kiwi here as well @ciaocibai @alchemy
Maybe we should buy the kit and split shipping? As I’m guessing shipping from US will be the killer…
I usually self source, but keen to give Ryan some money this time round :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ll join the order… @ciaocibai @alchemy

You guys don’t want to order a RoutER11 at the same time?

I’ve noticed the rollerskate wheels have disappeared which featured the Patreon video, does this mean the surface the machine rides on needs to be more flat?

1 Like

Could be a good plan, shipping is definitely a killer. I’ve already got everything to build a LR2 so will only be looking for a smaller selection of parts.

1 Like

I’m planning on using the Makita router - not sure its worth importing one as they would be the wrong voltage for here. But totally open to a joint order to save on shipping. Sounds like we need a kiwi thread.

3 Likes

I wanna ask where you’re all based but that’ll stink up the thread! (CHCH, currently, a bit stinky)

I might hit go on the RoutER11 then.

On this Lowrider attempt I’d like to go for the steppers + drivers Ryan stocks and if I’m waiting for them, I better get some trustworthy linear rails too.

2 Likes

Ive got the longer lead screw already. Modifying the side plate is no problem. And shouldn’t be an issue to get a bit longer linear plate. Sweet! I’m doing it.

Now just need to know about table size.

Does the table size change for cut area from the lr2?

3 Likes