What would you want to see in a new lowrider build?

So far, we have less rigid and more expensive, have to work on that. :slight_smile: What are the benefits of going vertical other than saving a small amount of floor space? Being able to see your billboard as it’s being completed? Research on using a low rider in low orbit? Hmm, wonder if you could put one on the ceiling?

I would go for a a lathe like attachment for a low rider, full 5 axis seems ambitious/$$$ and for a smaller machine like the MPCNC.

Cheers!

36 sq. ft. is not a small amount of space. But more importantly, if you can fit it next to a car in the garage you gain a full sheet CNC without kicking out a car. I think it also adds some convenience for getting material onto the cnc and makes working on it a lot easier.

I understand if that isn’t important to everybody, but there’s no need to take pot shots at it.

1 Like

Just having a bit of fun with it, not attacking, in the spirit of the first poster on the topic who requested the adversarial approach to brain storming. I guess my question then is are you running a cnc machine while your car is parked next to it? Having a storable lowrider is different than one that operates vertically. Point taken though on the single car garage angle, I admit I wasn’t thinking of that. Depends on what you are doing and how big you are going, (vertical doesn’t necessarily mean you assume full sheet), as to which is easier to work with, to me it seems things would require more bolting down and it would be high, unless it’s starting from the floor.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Maybe some sort of solenoids that clamp the belts when the motors aren’t energized? Then the gantry will stay put. Maybe have them run off the spindle enable pin?

In order of what I think would be easiest.

Smaller footprint. Fold up table when not in use. Angled when in use (if we do this we are building in a panel saw attachment). Vertical (seems excessive).

7 Likes

Except when they sent a rover or something to Mars and it blew up in the atmosphere because one used Metric and the other used Imperial. neither converted and thus 7 months and a few billions went poof before they could even start.

See what happens when you switch units? The moon landing went well enough
 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Tell us more about this panel saw attachment. :slight_smile: Other than the typical, let’s add a thing to the table, is there any cnc things that can be done there? If you were able to control the depth of the blade and the position of the guide with stepper motors, that would be interesting, take some of the guesswork out of that kind of task. Could just be a jogging system. Ditto for a router table like design, being able to dial in at 0.1 mm would be handy and knowing what the current position is. Add enough motors and counterweights, I am sure even the beefier saws out there could be made to comply.

Cheers!

1 Like

I would think using the CNC to measure the size of the cut, but then, because it will only take 20 seconds, just run the saw through yourself. That would be a real time saver.

A depth set and some simple CAM would let you let it run for a while and do things like dados/rabbets. But
 Running a circular saw with stepper motors
 IDK. I would need a lot of tests before I would trust it. It seems like the loads would be quite variable and if it kicks back, you’re going to have a bad day.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t be too hard to make inserts to fit inside the router base. I did that with a sharpie holder.

I know this will cause an argument, but a gantry style full sheet cnc would be awesome. It could also be tilted so it doesn’t take as much room.

Probably the easiest way to do it.

You could also just make the panel saw a separate assembly. Run the cnc gantry to the end, and have the saw gantry live on the other end, or removeable for those few times you actually need the full length.

2 Likes

23.5 version?

Nope

1"
1.25" maybe

2 Likes

Sadly, that’s not terribly feasible. Since the whole raison d’ĂȘtre of the LR/LR2 is larger format, you need something stiffer than 3/4" EMT. You really need to get out into the 1" or 25mm DOM/SS tubing. Now, a honkin’ big 26.4(?)mm (1" EMT) build might be interesting, as it might provide the stiffness needed for a 4’ width, and still be a cheap, big-box commodity item.

+1 for 1" EMT

As long as it ridged enough for 4 foot that is great

I took moved my daughter’s bed the other day. Those cheap bed frames are made of strong angle iron. My brain started wondering if I could use an old bed frame to make a large format CNC. Silly things my brain does. I am not suggesting this as an idea. Just thought it was funny.

2 Likes

I tries to give a bed frame like that away on CL. No takers. They will give them to you when you buy a matress at some matress stores.